Acro lovers!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by April Hope, Feb 25, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

I need an ID for sure and a pricing if possible. I only have a few sps, and am far far from an expert. What's your opinions on this? It is more pink than the picture shows.

2. Click Here!

3. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Oops and here is the picture! image.jpeg

4. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

really hard to tell what color it is supposed to be. Almost looks like a humilis Acro but can't be sure. To me that would be considered browned out unless just real bad pic. Browned out Acro can happen for different reasons. Not uncommon in the trade sadly. Never pay full price for browned out corals.

Looks to be half decent size. Do to color and no being positive what it is, I probably would pass it up unless it was $15 - 20 tops.

There is hope for it though and could be a gem!

5. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Wel
    well..... It isn't actually brown at all, the picture is really unfortunately not close. It's more like a light pink or bubble gum pink. It is pretty decent sized, like the size of a baseball almost. It has a mark by it labeling strawberry short cake, but there was many others that made me very unsure what type.

6. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Also, any advice to make it look it's best?

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

humm does not have strawberry shortcake structure from the ones I have seen. I have my eye on one locally also(wish I had the room). Baseball size is good and it does look to have potential. Don't be in a rush though :)

SPS can be quite the pita!
    Stable parameters, good lighting (MH, LED, T5 hybrid, T5) all work just depends on the fixtures.
    High Flow is generally preferred and higher light. Generally people will acclimate the Acro to their lights(meaning placing at middle or lower) until it has time to adjust to the lights you have. Then they move them up. I do that for a day or so then put them where I wanted them.

Don't know how old your tank is or your past experience with corals but keep these in check. People will give you all kinds of parameters ranges they use but you need to find what works best for you and your setup. The more opinions the better..
    I have seen people keep these ranges but not saying I suggest what you run.
    ALK 8 - 12 My range I try to keep 8.5 - 9
    MAG 1200- 1600 My range 1350 to 1400
    CAL 350 - 500+ My range 420 -430

SG 1.026 This seems to be pretty standard level
    PH Ideally 8 - 8.4(my tank gets to 8.45 when windows open.. totally different topic). Have seen people run higher PH and slightly lower.
    Keep your Nitrates on the lower end, but keep your tank fed. They like the fish poop ha ha!
    Keep a clean tank!
    Keep phosphates in check(ha ha ha I do not even test this any more ). You will know if you have phosphates if you have algae breakouts(not good) :). PS high levels can also cause browning in Acro
    Like I said keep a clean tank :)

Cheryl has a Acro thumb so hopefully she chimes in ..

8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

How much do they want for it April.. I do not judge. If you liked it that is all that matters :)

10. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Well, lol, I already own it. So..... I will suffer the comsequences! Ha ha. I think it's pretty so it's ok.

My tank is well established at this point. My params are stable with the exception of two things. I had a recent ammonia increase which is now back to 0, and my ph tends to run about 8.2. I buff it and try and keep it around 8.4. Other wise, alk-10, mag 1450 usually, calcium always 480, my SG stays 1.025. Nitrates are 0.
    We run a an aqua illumination. Sun up at 4pm and sun down at 11pm. 80% whites and 100% everything else but out light is 16" above the tank.

I tend to over feed, mysis, pellets, blood worms and veggie flakes. Nori for my tangs. But we do 20% water changes weekly.

I did place the little cutie on the floor for now, but am waiting to move it up. I have zero sps experience other than a couple stylos I inherited. This is good advice and give me an idea. It a very pretty acro, just have no clue what it is.
    Thanks for chiming in.

11. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

I paid 39$ not much. :).

chris adams likes this.
  12. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

thats not bad for baseball size :)
    With the right care you will be amazed what that will turn into

start checking ALK MAG CAL and confirm SG. SORRY MISSED WHERE YOU SAID THAT
    May want to look info coral frenzy or rods coral blend or Oyster feast

what AI.. those levels seem high even at 16".. Well are your colors on other corals ok.. if so ignore my comment but boy that does seem high ha ha

OK last edit.. I would bring your SG up a bit 1.026