Acro IDs (4/23 Photos last post!)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Kevin_E, Apr 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I have some new pieces coming my way and I was wondering if I could get some IDs.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

My best guesses

1)Acropora millepora (of some sort)
    2) Acropora no-idea
    3)Acropora humilis

4. electric-dan

electric-dan Astrea Snail

1 acropora vermiculata
    2 maybe a suharsoni
    3 acropora humilis

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Great, thanks! I like those guesses. I have one more:

Attached Files:

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Acropora suharsoni:

"This species has a restricted range and is uncommon. It is particularly susceptible to bleaching, disease, crown-of-thorns starfish predation, and extensive reduction of coral reef habitat due to a combination of threats. Specific population trends are unknown but population reduction can be inferred from declines in habitat quality based on the combined estimates of both destroyed reefs and reefs at the critical stage of degradation within its range (Wilkinson 2004). Its threat susceptibility increases the likelihood of being lost within one generation in the future from reefs at a critical stage. Therefore, the estimated habitat degradation and loss of 66% over three generation lengths (30 years) is the best inference of population reduction and meets the threshold for Endangered under Criterion A4ce. It will be important to reassess this species in 10 years time because of predicted threats from climate change and ocean acidification."

That's awful. One generation?

7. Frick

Frick Bristle Worm

I agree with one and three but two is not A. suharisonoi. A. suharisonoi would not have radial corallites like yours does. They are all really small to give a good guess two could be a lot of things.
    Corals of the World Factsheet and images - Acropora suharsonoi
    Two looks closer to Acropora speciosa to me.
    Corals of the World Factsheet and images - Acropora speciosa

The Fourth is really tough, the only things to go by are the tips and the corallites which could be similar to many different species. If it stags then maybe A. nobilis? Tough call.
    Corals of the World Factsheet and images - Acropora nobilis

8. Click Here!

9. Frick

Frick Bristle Worm

I agree with one and three but two is not A. suharisonoi. A. suharisonoi would not have radial corallites like yours does. They are all really small to give a good guess two could be a lot of things.
    Corals of the World Factsheet and images - Acropora suharsonoi
    Two looks closer to Acropora speciosa to me.
    Corals of the World Factsheet and images - Acropora speciosa

The Fourth is really tough, the only things to go by are the tips and the corallites which could be similar to many different species. If it stags then maybe A. nobilis? Tough call.
    Corals of the World Factsheet and images - Acropora nobilis

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. I'll post some pics in this thread as they grow in hopes of a more accurate ID.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

So the 3rd Acro in both set of figures appears to have a very, very small and fine polyp that resembles that of a barnacle fan. it also appears that several of the ends were damaged. Does that help?