Acro disease

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by muggle, Jun 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. muggle

muggle Purple Spiny Lobster

Was talking with my lfs as my 2 across have not looked so hot. Could be a parameter issue as I have not tested lately as I have been busy with work and did test today and had alk at about 5 and calcium at about 350 so there was some issues. They also gave me some coral rx to dip the acro in. I did and the first acro which is most likely toast left the water clear. When I did the second acro in the bucket were these little ovals that were as thin as paper and were a reddish brownish color. I thought some looked like they were moving, would the parasite fall off that fast in a matter of 10 min?

2. Click Here!

3. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Sounds like an acro eating flat worm (commonly referred to as AEFW)...you may have to do several dips over a few weeks to completely get them.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sounds like flatworms, so good you got them off. Get and keep your alk above 7 dKH and get and keep your Ca above 380. Measure your Mg and keep it above 1250.

5. muggle

Yah the base was turning white with some whiteness extending into the branches....was referred to break the branches of the base which I did and split the branches into 2 sections...we will see what happens

6. muggle

Just saw a pic and yes they were the acro flatworms....dip again, will this harm other corals in the tank?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No they only eat acropora/sps, but I would not get anymore acropora for several months just to be sure. They are the Curse of sps keepers.

8. Click Here!

9. muggle

How do they get in the tank, something I did

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If they are AEFW they hitch-hiked in on any number of things or most likely the corals themselves. The eggs are very hard to see if you do not know what you are looking for.

11. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

Hitch hiked.Buy anything new lately?

12. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

LOL! The eggs are easy to miss when you do know what to look for! This is why some people suggest dipping and quarantining before you ever add them to your display tank.