Aclimating Under Super Salinity

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by DoorBoy, Mar 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

I special ordered a powder brown tang last week and while i was at the store they had deals on yellow tangs for 15 dollars.. i purchased a yellow tang and he has come down with ich while in the qt tank. So i started doing super salinity and have slowly dropped it to 1.012

ich has started to disappear but my powder brown has come in and i decided i was gonna start acclimating with super salinity since thats what my qt tank has in it.. he has been floating for like 70 minutes and have added probably 2 oz of water to his bowl.

Is this okay? any advice would help quick. Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

ive never done it, but its probably most important to go slow. the fish will have a easier time going down in salinity then when you raise it back up.

ive never heard it called super salinity before, wouldn't it be antisuper salinity since it has less salt lol

4. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

yeah my mistake i guess its called hypo salinity

5. mastamind360

mastamind360 Astrea Snail

i do it all the time. my qt stays at 1.016 all the time just in case. HOWEVER when u move it to yer dt acclimate it for a LONG time cuz fish have a harder time going up in salenity

6. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

well okay help me out here.. i had him in the qt tank after about a 2 hr acclimation process.. keep in mind this guy came from a over night shipment to the store and i didnt want them to acclimate him to their tanks so he was in the bag from shippin still. I think it has that methol blue stuff in it cause the water was a blue color. Once i put him in my qt tank he was looking alright and i went to get lunch real quick probably 20 minutes.. when i got back he was laying at the bottom so i put him back in the bowl of the water i was taking out of his acclimation bowl.. I have no idea if the hypo is causing this or what.. should i just do acclimation more slowly?

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would do it very slowly. most of the time for hypo people take a couple days. now you cant take that long but this probably should be a whole day affair.

I wouldn't keep switching him from the bowl to the tank. its probably even more stressful. next time you put him in your tank make sure its the last time

8. Click Here!

9. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

will do.. i just didnt wanna shock him so i put him back in his water cause ive done it before that way with like salt water dips. Will observe him for another couple hours and then decide whether he is ready or not to go in.

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

This is a tough one. You are 'darned if you do and darned if you don't'. Usually, I don't spend ANY time acclimating ANYTHING that has been sitting in a bag for a long period of time. I bring it up to temp with a 10 minute float, let it go and hope for the best.

If you introduce oxygenated water into that closed system (which has a lot of waste and little oxygen), the NH4 (ammonium ion) is converted to NH3(ammonia). NH3 is more deadly than NH4. This happens because oxygen introduced into the system has a higher affinity for the extra hydrogen the ammonium ion possesses. That hydrogen wants to break free of the NH4 (two of them) and couple with oxygen to form H2O. More stable.

Now. I am just thinking out loud here.....it has been years since I took inorganic chemistry, but I know there is some sort of reaction that occurs with ammonia in the transition from low to high oxygen environment. I read something somewhere about this ITO acclimation procedures with internet purchases. I think this is it. pH also has something to do with it. I can see the same process happening in an environment where pH is rising.

I hope this helps. I don't know what you can do with your livestock right now. You are in a pickle. It is in shock obviously. This is going out on a limb, but I would be tempted to put it in my main tank and see how it does there. You need to get it out of that water from the bag though IMO. I don't think it is going to help at all.

11. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

yeah .. so you think i should put him back in the qt tank?

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Is he sick? Does he show signs of Ich himself?