Aclimating anomones

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by david, Aug 6, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Your on the road to recovery! Have patience and keep target feeding until its ready. Three or four mysis is good for now.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You might want to try some other foods too. A shot of Formula 1 or some other meaty mulch may get it going.

4. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Well today the LTA unattached himself from the rock, but it looks as though he has reattached himself to the glass on the side of the tank. Being that it is a subsrate dweller is this a good thing? Also he still rejects the mysis shrimp but I'll try giving him some marine zoe and see how he reacts to that! I'll keep every one posted ;D [smiley=uzi.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]

5. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

LTA update......
    Well I don't know whats going on with this anemone. He moves around in a 5sq.in. area. One day he is on the glass, the next he is on the sand, and I can see his"foot" down into the sand. Then he's back on the glass. He dosen't look bad but he still won't eat. He shrinks away from target food, and won't accept mysis shrimp or flake. Witch he ate once! All the crabs and shrimp hang out around him. I think it's from all the food he sheds off him, but is it because his demise is evedent?

6. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

WOW! today is a good day! the LTA has moved around alot. Now he has himself half attached to a piece of live rock, right over near the intake he initally got sucked up. But not to fear, I have a sponge prefilter over it now. Just the upper half of his foot is stuck on but he finally ate some mysis shrimp this morning! And even now the percula is backing himself into it, slowly slightly touching it, hovering over it. Really quite a sight after all that the poor thing has gone through! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Great news David!
    Please try some other meaty foods too. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Great News! Keep us posted!

10. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Some body help me on this please. Is it normal for an anemone to all shrink right up after you feed it? Because it seems that my LTA looks great untill I feed him. He has been eating every day in the morning. Should I slack off on feeding him every day?
    Also every time I feed him I watch him pass the food to his mouth and eat it but maybe an hour later when I look he has pulled in all his tenticles and looks like a red blob on the side of the rock is this O.K.? Also Matt what would be a good example of "meaty mulch"

And off this topic wrassman you'll be glad to know that I finally talked my lfs to stock some sea chem products. So when I went there today, I got reef complete, reef plus, and reef carbonate. How would you go about switching from my normal supplaments. I was using b-ionic 30cc of each everyday and reef calcium twice a week (two capfuls). Should I just stop the b-ionic the day I start the sea chem products? Or slack off on them slowly, or heck continue to use all till the b-ionic is gone?
    sorry this went so long I should have posted it on another thread. Oh yeah and with my existing supplimentation I barly was getting a calcium reading of 380ppm? Anybody with advise? Thank You all so much this place is such a big help! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

David -

It is normal for an anemone to shrink or curl up after feeding. No worries there.

My 'meaty mulch' would be my usual rec of Formula 1 and on other occasions, chopped krill dosed in liquid vitamins. Anemones are pretty delicate and I think it's important to give them a varied diet. So along with the mysis you got going now, try the above. Both are found in the frozen food section.

You don't need to feed them everyday if you are giving them big chunks of krill, but if it's just a dash of shrimp it wouldn't hurt I guess. I didn't feed mine more than a few times a month. At least directly. The percula clown was good at sharing it's food with it, so I didn't have to worry that much.

I am dosing Sea Chem now too. My alk is low and calcium high, so I am dosing 'Reef Builder.' In your situation, I would use 'Reef Advantage Calcium' which will raise calcium. You need to test your water a lot to know what to dose obviously. I use the Kent Marine I.V. for my evap and add my additives to that. Works great.

12. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks for the advise matt!
    I'll try all those and see what he likes!
    As for the supplements I was using reef calcium by sea chem in addition to the b-ionic and still getting low calcium readings.My alk is fine it's around 4.5 mg/l. Every thing is starting to look so good just today I've seen more wierd "stuff" on my rock then ever before it's starting to come out everywhere looks like poylps but don't know what yet?
    Thanks again, D. :D