Aclimating anomones

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by david, Aug 6, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

O.K. guys the L.T. has let go of the strainer cap and is rolling about the bottom of the tank should I just let him be. Also what signs should I look for that all hope is lost. (I'd hate to have this anemone start to pollute my tank with it's rotting carcuss.)So when is enough enough and you should just pull it out? I have to go drop my daughter off with her mother but I'll be back soon!

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Watch for mucus/slime. If there exsesive amounts of it coming from the mouth, its probably dying. LTAs are extremelly hardy, do love to go behind rocks (has happenned to my about 50% of the time). Also watch for "blown butty syndrome". Thats when the anemone turns inside out and you see what looks like organs(brownish/tan) with bumps on the new outside.

LTAs are a bottom/substrate dweller, they burrow into your sand bed, and like to attach the either the bottom, or best yet, a buried rock. I've had them in many lighting situations with great success, although they are an enemy and have most problems that go along with being an anemone. Rolling around is typical of an LTA looking for a new spot. If it continues for more then a week, I find they aren't happy with the tanks situation (ie. lack of light, bad water parameters, etc).

4. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Thank You 4 the knowlege gresham he has already stopped rolling and appears to be attaching to a piece of live rock rubble down on the sand bed I hope all goes well I'll keep everybody posted
    Thank You everybody ;D

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Did you get the venturi working on the maxi-jet yet? PM if not, I'll help you get a Rio with an RVT kit for the PM Hot 1 skimmer.

6. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Well I tried getting the L.T. to eat some mysis shrimp he didn't want any thing to do with that. He did eat a little marine flake that dirfted that way while I was feeding the fish hopefully this is good! He looks alot better and has settled into one spot but he still looks a little tired? Gresham I'm still waiting for parts to come from precision marine. I'm sure it'll all come together then. They sent them already but I don't know when they'll get here? They are sending me a 90 deg. fitting for the intake thats drilled out so the maxi-jet fits right into it tight. So there's no tubing. Also you don't use the venturi that came with the pump. They are sending me some unit that hooks on the pump where the strainer cap would go. Some how the air gets sucked through there? sounds good! Can't wait to get it and I got all that from them for $10.00 and that includes shipping [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Sounds like the LTA has a chance a little flake food is a start. Keep us posted!

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

David - go buy a turkey baster and lightly shoot some shrimp right at it - target feeding. I used to do that with my thawed Formula foods after I had already fed the fish.

Gresham - awesome info on reply # 11! [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

10. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Matt I have bought a turkey baster. Now how many shrimp do you think I should shoot at it? Like a whole crap load or just like 3 or 4? I have been tring to feed it with a pair of plastic tweezers. Like 2 at a time, at frist the tenticles would pull away from the shrimp (he didn't want anything to do with them!) Now he will kinda hold them pass them around among his tenticles. But finally after like 5 or 10 mins. of that he lets them go. He does look better though, and he is really latched onto a rock good!

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

The key is to have him stay attached. He won't heal any wounds, or eat, until he's happy. Once he's attached and happy, feed away.

12. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

He still dosen't eat but he sure is locked onto the rock he found you can't even see the rock anymore he covers it completely!