Aclimating anomones

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by david, Aug 6, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Hi every one well as It goes I brought the coral beauty back to the reef store.To take it's place I picked up a percula and a long tenticle anomone. When I put the anomone in the tank I turned off the power heads so it didn't just get blown all over the tank was this the proper thing to do? And how long should I leave the power heads off if it was?
    Thanks everyone for your responses!!

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's not something I've heard of, but I doubt it would hurt much short term. If you have it in a good spot near the light and it anchors down that would be cool. I'd turn the heads back on though.

What kind of anemone?
    How old is your tank again David?

4. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

What do you mean matt by if I have it in a good spot? I always thought they would find there spot? I turned on the power heads again this morning now that the anomone has settled down some what I hope it dosen't stay where it is it went to the back behind the rocks. I turned off the power heads because the anomne was just kinda floating around the tank and the currant would just blow it around so I wanted to at least wait till it had "settled in" some what as for how long my tank has been running my first entry in the log is 12/29/02 but I know it was up a few weeks befor that I think that should be long enough? almost 8 months. I probally should have waited it was an impulse buy. I went to get a clown to replace my coral beauty, and they never carry anemones they but for some reason they had four different kinds. So after pouring through two different books there. Asking all the latin names for the anemones they got shipped in I figured out which one was the L.T. And after all that work I guessed I should buy it. Although the clown still hasn't taken to it. :-/ But the anemones just got there that morning and none of the clowns in the tank had taken to it yet, but you could see them kinda fightin for it. The one I got backed into it a couple of times yesterday so I remain hopeful for now!

5. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

This morning I found that the Long tenticle anemone I got had been sucked up into the intake stem on my canister filter! :-X
    I freaked out ! then I pulled the strainer cap off and I left the strainer cap in there its been about 4 hrs. and the anemone is starting to come out on it's own! Is it possible for him to live through this? the clown is even starting to canoolde up against it ! What would be the best couse of action now? I have some marine zoe should I give some to the anemone?

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Yes the LT Anenome can survive.  I would leave it alone and reduce the stress it is experiencing.  In the next 24 - 36 hours I would target feed some mysis shrimp with a turkey baster to see if it will eat.  Eating will indicate good overall health.

7. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Thank You so much craig! Thats just what I'll do I'll keep ya' posted!

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

No problem and yes, do keep us posted!

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Oh man, I had started typing last night about sponge pre-filters on your powerheads to avoid that kind of accident, I wish I left it in. What was I thinking! UGH. Hope it's ok.

What kind of light do you have? Watts per gallon?

11. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Yeah matt, I have sponge prefilters on all my power heads. when I first put it in he got sucked up to one and I thought that was bad so I shut the power heads off. I wish I would have just left them on he probally wouldn't have gotten hurt by that (not like the intake strainer anyway) I guess I should put a sponge on the intake too! As for lighting I only have compact floresents 110 watts per side so 220 all together. One actinic and one 10,000 k on each side of a 55 gal tank. So that is 4 watts per gal not alot but good enough I hope. I'm tring to get the electritian at work to nab me some halides but he is afraid some one will holler about it ! Do you guys think it is enough light? Also what is the proper way to put an anemone in your tank. Should you try to get him to anchor himself or just let him go as I did? Thank you guys!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

12. Craig Manoukian