Acclimation Question

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Limerboy, Apr 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Limerboy

Limerboy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi all jsut got two clownfish and some featherdusters. i totally overlooked how i was going to get them acclimatized. Can someone give me a quick run through. IM used to freshwater fish, currently i have them in a bag in the aquarium.

Do the featherdusters need to be acclimatized?

I keep hearing to use the drip method, can someone go into some detail about this?

Thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

just put the fish in a 5 gallon bucket, and add a cup of water every minute thats what i do until its about 3x the orginal amount of water in the bucket.

the drip aclimitation involves puting them in a bucket and using airline hose. tie a knot in the hose so when siphoning it drips at a rate of 2 drops a second. wait a hour

some inverts like anems and cucumbers require you to just float them 15 mins pour off all water and pop them in the tank. the water may be posioned in there bag

1 person likes this.
  4. Limerboy

Ok i got this setup i hope it works...

[​IMG]

5. Limerboy

put in an airstone jsut in case

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

it looks fine to me

7. Limerboy

thanks mate do i put all the water in my DT or jsut the fish when im done?

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

just the fish is what your supposed to do.

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

If you are getting ANYTHING over the Internet, the acclimation procedure is simple. Float for ten minutes and put it in the DT. This is the way I do it. Even if it voids the arrive alive guarantee.

Reason why.....When the product is shipped and spends time in the bag, oxygen is used up and ammonia increases (this is obvious). Now, when oxygen is lacking, the ammonia present is represented as NH4 (the ionic, and less toxic, form). When you add oxygenated water to the bag, whether it be by the drip method or dumping in a half cup at a time, the hydrogens tend to move. Two molecules of NH4 will donate their extra hydrogen, combine with an oxygen atom and form water, leaving the ammonia as NH3. NH3 is far more toxic than NH4. The fish/corals/inverts are thus shocked by the conversion and do not have a very good time.

There could be an arguement against this procedure stating that you are pushing the livestock into an environment that is far more alkaline very quickly. The bag is going to be more acidic than the DT. But IMO, that shock is far less damaging than the ammonia deal.

In any case, I would not add an airstone to the bag. That will convert all of the NH4 to NH3 right away. Bad news bears.

2 people like this.
  11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

2 people like this.
  12. Limerboy

well didint order online got from a local supplier but its good to take note of that for future. they have settled in nicely and everything looks OK. Apprently i got a breeding pair but i dont know if i really want to breed them . The air valve is a good idea, i actually had one of these valves lying around and didint even think about using it.

Thanks everyone