Acclimating clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by bthomson, Sep 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bthomson

bthomson Fire Worm

I will be getting a Crocea soon. Whats the best way to acclimate the lil guy?

2. Click Here!

3. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

I can only tell you what I have done successfully, both with a crocea and a squamosa clam. I would consider a freshwater dip to make sure he's not carrying any parasites/undesirables. Use RO/DI water at same temparature and pH as your tank water (adjust pH with baking soda), and dip for about 10 minutes. Then slowly raise the salinity of that water by adding tank water gradually over about 30 minutes.

Others here may disagree, but this has worked for me.

1 person likes this.
  4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

If the salinity of the tank is higher than the salinity of the water in the bag, drip to match salinity. Inspect clam for pyramid snails. Place clam in tank. Once it's underwater, if it's still open, rock gently back and forth to ensure there is no Oxygen trapped in it's gills. Place on your sandbed for a day or two. (If you have a flat rock, you can put the rock on the sand and the clam on the rock). Over a period of several days slowly move the clam higher and higher until it arrives at your desired location in your rockwork. (Croceas don't live in sand....they live in rock)

2 people like this.
  5. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

i dont think i would ever give a clam a freshwater dip, i just float in the bag with some of my water for 30 mins and dump him in, have done with with dozens of clams and have yet to lose on till this day

1 person likes this.
  6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

This is the method that sounds best to me. I will be getting a crocea soon as ell, I like the idea of putting it on a rock on the sand, letting it attach, then raising it to the light on rocks. That method looks to be the ticket to keep the clam from falling until it attaches.

1 person likes this.
  7. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

I just put mine in.... lol.. about a 4.5" crocea clam that was attached to probably a 20lb rock... with zoas on it and things..

I moved the rock under the halide later on and he didnt like that much and he moved off the rock.. now he is happy on a flat rock in the sandbed...

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Agreed but I would first do a freshwater dip as was suggested above. I do not place clams in my tanks w/o first dipping them for 10-20 minutes.

1 person likes this.
  10. bthomson

bthomson Fire Worm

thanks alot guys! here he is, about 4.5"-5"

[​IMG]

11. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

12. bthomson

bthomson Fire Worm

THANKS! i thought so too :D