Acclamation..for Mollys to salt

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by trying it again, Apr 18, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

Hello
    Got two Mollys floating in the refugium right now...I've heard they can be acclimated to salt..just wondering if anyone has done this and can give some tips on how to do it
    Thanks
    TIA

2. Click Here!

3. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What molly do you have? I just checked at fishbase.com and saw about a hundred species that have "molly" in their common name.

I looked up a few and found that some say "benthopelagic; non-migratory; freshwater; brackish" and some say "reef-associated; non-migratory (Ref. 55747); marine". Didn't see any that said anything about being anadromous. But as I said there are about a hundred and I only looked at a few.

brackish:
    adj.
    1. Having a somewhat salty taste, especially from containing a mixture of seawater and fresh water.

My guess is if the mollies you have aren't already living in sea water then they won't last long in it. I would suggest not trying it.

IMHO
    Red

1 person likes this.
  4. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

Thanks for the reply Redbeard
    One is a marble molly the other a silver molly. I acclimated them over a course of about three hours. They are still alive as of today and looking pretty lively. If they last a few more weeks I'm going to try a couple more. They are picking at the hair algae which is good. So we'll see how it goes and I'll keep ya posted.
    TIA

5. Redbeard

That's cool, glad to hear they're doing allright. I wouldn't have thought you could acclimate them to seawater.

If they're as prolific as the ones I've had in fresh water you should have a nice steady supply of feeders in your tank. I'm anxious to hear more about your results.

Red

6. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I used black mollys as starter fish in my 120gal. bought 3 dozen of them and just dumped them in. Took them about 10 minutes to get used to the SW and they were just fine... They were in the tank until i bought my first fish and at that point i must of had over 100 with all the babys they had made. My first fish was a trigger and my second was a lion fish. so they didnt last too long in the tank.

I've also kept guppies in saltwater for feeder fish, after the lion got done with the mollys he needed something else so.... Guppies also do good in SW.

Marc.

7. Redbeard

If you set up a saltwater breeding tank for mollies to use for feeders would you still run into the same nutritional problems you would have if you just used fresh water fish for feeders?

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

ive heard of some people using saltwater mollies as beginner fish, and have 3 that i got with one of my internet orders of flagfish they breed them in saltwater they seem to live ok in it