Acanthastrea Lordhowensis - April '06 Coral of the Month

Discussion in 'Coral of the Month' started by Area 51 Exotics, Apr 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

Acanthastrea Lordhowensis (Acanthastrea sp.)

Type: Large Polyp Stony
    Family: Mussidae
    Origin: Indo Pacific

Aquarium Needs:

Lighting: Acanthastrea Lordhowensis are a hermatypic/photosynthetic coral. They require moderate to high lighting. Power compact lighting may be used but ideally T-5 & Metal Halide fixtures will prove more beneficial.
    Water Quality: Acanthastrea Lordhowensis are more tolerant of changes water quality making them an excellent coral for beginners. Though they are more tolerant, a stable environment is obviously better for the prolonged health & well being of these creatures. Due to the heavy feeding requirements, a strong protein skimmer is recommended. Activated carbon as well as items such as ozone generators can help as well.
    Current: Acanthastrea Lordhowensis require medium to strong water movement. Excessive flow on the animal can cause polyp retraction or in worst-case polyp bailout (polyps actually detach from their skeleton).
    Temperature: 74 – 82 degrees Fahrenheit
    Temperament: Acanthastrea Lordhowensis are a more aggressive species. They may be kept close to other Acanthastrea Lordhowensis, but give plenty of room to other corals.
    Supplemental Feeding: Acanthastrea Lordhowensis will readily accept feedings of minced meaty foods such as shrimp, mysis and squid. Though not regularly required, these feeding will also help growth. These animals also seem to react better to higher levels of magnesium 1250-1350ppm. Please test prior to the addition of any chemicals.
    Frag Difficulty: The propagation of Acanthastrea Lordhowensis is very easy. They simply love to be cut. Wet tile saws, band saws and dremel tools may be used to make appropriate cuts. Simple agitation of the coral will cause the polyps to retract. At this point you may cut out the desired amount of polyps. The only concern is that depending on the cut, you don’t go to shallow and actually cut into the corallites. Once the frag is made, it can be left as is in the sand bed where it will grow its own calcium skeleton or affixed to a piece of live rock where it will encrust over the rock. The preferred and more desirable method due to accelerated growth is to attach the frag to live rock and let it encrust over.

Personal Observations -

Each of these corals are unique. Some like high flow some like low. Some color up better under metal halides while some like it in the shade. You have to watch them and learn what to look for. I’ve found that the Indonesian species seem to handle the warmer waters 79-80 degrees while others seem to prefer the colder temps, 76-77. Acan lords love to eat. They actually seem to eat better than I do. A varied diet a couple of times a week will help them remain happy and healthy as well as promote faster growth. A friend of mine woke up the other morning to one of his lords swallowing his pipefish. They are a hardy coral with amazing coloration. They are my personal favorite.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. darkliteseeker

darkliteseeker Astrea Snail

hey Mike what would it take for me to get on the waiting list for some of your Acan?? Its definatly a jaw droper

Ricky

4. Area 51 Exotics

Several are available, PM me with which ones your interested in :)

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I think I found my next coral. Great write up Vamp! :)

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Nice coral! What is the general price range for this coral? And for a frag?
    thanks in advance!

7. Area 51 Exotics

General price range for this coral are around $5-$10 per polyp on frags of Indonesian variety. If you purchase a small colony, obviuosly the prices will come down a little. Other varieties of Acan Lord usually start at $50 per polyp and go up from there depending on the color morph in question.