Acans not opening up?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by pmoradi2002, Apr 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pmoradi2002

pmoradi2002 Spaghetti Worm

I had a tank problem as some of you may know about 2 weeks ago, parameters were all whack and such.

Almost everything is stable now but for some reason my acans will not open up.
    They used to fluff up real big but not anymore.
    What could be causing this?

Parameters as of last night, just did a WC will test in a bit.

Salinity - 1.025
    pH - 8.0
    Nitrate - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Ammonia - .25
    Phosphate - 0
    Calcium - 580
    Kh - 161.1 (9)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

well a big water change can be stressful too some corals, if not all, i would just say give it some time.

4. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

try to spot feed them and see what happens, my accans may stay closed up for a week and next day after I feed em they all opened up and looks very puffy :)

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Give them awhile after you have no detectable ammonia. IME it takes corals awhile to bounce back after an ammonia spike.

6. pmoradi2002

Everything else is doing fine, I guess I'll just need to be patient!

I do spot feed each and every head, but 95% of the heads stay closed and wont even bring out their feeding tentacles.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

IMO i think you shouldnt spot feed, if they arent eating it then your just adding extra nutrients to your water.

8. Click Here!

9. pmoradi2002

No I meant that I do feed some and not all, I don't just shoot food at them and expect them to eat.

10. pmoradi2002

It's been almost a month now and they are still not opening up :(

I tried dipping them in iodine with no luck.

11. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

hmm i mean looking at the pics, they dont look that bad,, yeah they arent really puffy but its not like they are showing skeleton are even shrunk way down to the skeleton..

like already stated anytime my tank my not look so i just do a good waterchange, and then everything is back to normal.. but doing a couple water changes with 0tds rodi water and a good batch of salt will help...

how does everything else in the tank look... if everything else looks good then id say you will be fine..

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

is there some crab or something picking on them? How do they look, other than the tissue not being fat. Are they still colored nicely? Is there too much flow on them?

sorry at work cant see pictures

Something is irritating them. I had a tang that LOVED to nip my acans, brains and other similar corals. It didnt kill them, but they just were not doing good. I finally caught the fish doing it several times and removed him and the acans came back.

Do you feed with the lights on or off? What do you feed? I would get some cyclopeeze right now and after the lights have been turned off for a bit, pour a small amount of it into the water. Usually this will cause the polyps to extend. Then I would directly feed to the corals gently. I always do this off to the side of the polyps a little so that the food will float over and I am not putting too much pressure onto the polyp. It may take several feeds to get them to open up, and once they do you can move to bigger meatier food.

I always was able to eventually get my acans to take at least half a piece of krill if not a whole piece per polyp. I didnt feed every polyp as they will share