Acans and Zoas

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by crustytheclown, Feb 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

So i am wanting to glue down some acan and zoa frags. I have a couple questions though.......... Is it better to have a designated section of the tank for both corals? I know that acans are very aggressive, and my guess is that they would easily take over a zoa colony. So i would think that intermixing the two corals would be disastrous? From what i have seen in alot of nano tanks ( my tank is a 29gal), some people have zoa gardens and acan gardens. Is this better than intermixing them?:-/

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

First, acans are not that aggressive and the zoas would probably take over b/c they grow much faster. I would not worry about a designated area, just put them where you want them. Keep in mind that the zoas will grow and cover any area they are placed in so be aware of that.

4. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

I have a nano. My Acans are on the sand bed and my Zoas on the rocks. I don't know if that helps? Just have a nice sand bed spot for your acans!

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Agreed the sand bed is always a nice spots for acans. I just moved one of my colonies there, but I also have them on my rocks, it really just depends on what you like.

6. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

do you guys have them on a piece of LR in the sand or are they just on the frag plugs they came on. I am in the process of moving my acans around to see where they are most happy?

7. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Mine is on a disk, but it's growing so fast I have to put it on a flat piece of liverock

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

One thing to consider, put the zoas where you think you want them before gluing (if you can) and see how they respond to that location. If they like the spot then glue. You don't to glue and then find out you have to move them.