Acan placement

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by ibefishy, Nov 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I just picked up 2 acan frags and was wondering where I should place them in the tank. Will they do ok on the sand or should I place them on a rock? I will post pics as soon as I get them set.

2. Click Here!

3. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

They will do fine on either. They are similar to other lps. Medium light and flow. I've got mine generally in the bottom half of my 90 under 250w MH and ygry tend to like shadier spots in my tank.

1 person likes this.
  4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

+1 I agree.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

They can adapt to a wide range or lighting conditions, but you may experience some color changes. IMO the higher the lights, the less colorful they'll be or less amount of colors they'll have.

6. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Thanks for the replies. Right now I am still using my pc's as I had to return my new T5's because every time the actinics came on my GFCI would trip. I should recieve my new T5 light soon. I was going to post a rant about the lousy customer service I was recieving because the vendor didnt want to listen to my explanation. They kept saying it was the wiring in my house and I should have an electrician come over and check it. But thats a whole other story. I know I am not supposed to "bash" vendors, but boy did I want to. Hopefully the new lights will brighten up my new acans and everything else. I will post some pics of them tommorrow after a full day of adjustment to my tank.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I found also if you feed your acans small meaty food they will grow faster and bigger. I start all mine with target feed of brine, and then when they fatten up I do krill! I have some that are so big now that I can literally place my thumb in its mouth!

+1 on others...I keep mine on the sand kind of shaded from the light. As they get bigger I move one edge over so that they touch a rock, in hopes that they will continue over to the new rock!

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Make sure you acclimate the tank to the t5s very slowly. When I switched from PCs to T5s I thought i was going slowly but I ended up putting a blister on my toadstool. Cut your hours way back to like 4 hours/day and add an extra hour each day until you get to the lighting schedule you want.

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

If it's a bright color it will lose color under bright lights.
    Especially Rainbows... Let's see some PICS!