acan lord not opening

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Peredhil, Apr 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I have an acan lord frag. i've had it since january.

originally, i had it in the top 1/2 of my 55gallon long. it had 2 heads.

the head that was away from the light would open really really big and the head that was towards the light would kind of open (situated so that the frag was glued to the rock sideways like, facing the front glass).

Original location:
    [​IMG]

a month or so ago, the glue stopped holding and it ended up on the ground, upside down. So I moved it right side up and have just left it on the ground ever since, not sure where I want to put it. so it's as far away from my T5 as you can possibly get.

I am noticing that it does not really open at all anymore (at least in a month). so i've been slightly worried about it. I don't mean it's completely sucked into itself, it's just not ballooning in size like it use to do.

last night, I noticed it has a new baby head on it! yippee and hurray. but it's still not opening...

it's my first and only acan so I really don't know how normal this is...

normal?

2. Click Here!

3. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I believe they do react to different light/flow levels so it might just act differently now since it's in a different area of the tank. If it's reproducing it's probably pretty satisfied I would think.

Maybe try putting a piece of mysis or some food on it with the flow in your tank off and see if it grabs it?
    Is it maybe "opening" after lights out now?

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Nah, it's not opening at night now... I did check for that several times (I'm up with my kiddie a lot).

It is in a very low flow area now and that is just occurring to me...

I had originally thought, with less light, that both heads would open all the way... but now having bounced it around here on 3reef, I'm thinking the flow is the main difference...

I think I'll move him to other side of tank w/more flow next time I put my hands in the tank...

It helps just to talk about it sometimes ;)

5. slocal

slocal Doot!

They like moderate/low flow and the funny thing about lords is that they prefer very low light in order to heal themselves. How do they react to feeding?

normal would look like this. I have him in medium light and moderate, indirect flow:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Good info. Will definitely move it to a slightly higher flow area.

I haven't tried to feed it since I moved it/it fell... but it never accepted anything that I could tell when I tried before that.

It's colors are very bright still.

7. slocal

slocal Doot!

Did you try feeding it at night when it's feeding tentacles are out? I wouldn't worry so much, since lords are very hardy (though expensive!).

Keep us updated :thumb_up: