Acan growth?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by dory1234, Jan 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dory1234

dory1234 Plankton

I just bought my first Acan coral. I only have a small frag ( 1 polyp). I'm curious on how long it takes to grow multiple polyps? I have it down in the lower part of the tank since I have a 150W MH for my 30g aquarium. I was also told to spot feed it every so often to help its growth rate. Any experience w/ growth rates will be great!

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. RNO CORALS

RNO CORALS Bristle Worm

All acans are different, feed it a couple times a week with mysis or brine shrimp and it should grow new heads quickly. I started with one head and 3 months down the road it has at least 6-7 heads.

4. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I bought this almost a year ago with 10 polyps.
    [​IMG]

It has grown over the entire plug now but polyps have yet to grow onto the piece of LR the plug is glued to. The number of polyps have increased dramatically. Hang on and I'll get you a current pic.

5. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

great looking acan pgreef and dory1234 lets get some pics up!!!!

6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Here is the current picture. Its feeders are all out this morning giving it a whiter look than it usually is.
    [​IMG]

It basically has too many polyps to count now. It is close to jumping off the rock but it is having a hard time with the step off the plug.

Macro shot.
    [​IMG]

7. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

we basically have the same setup!! so i can help. start it out on bottom till it gets used to your lights then you can gradually move it up the tank to where you want it. oh and i want a full tank shot of you tank. i love it when someone has the same setup as me.

8. Click Here!

9. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

heres a pic of mine sprouting heads after like 2 months
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

IME, acans grow fairly quickly. I don't spot feed or anything and have had a 2 polyp frag grow into about 12 polyps in about 8 months. They are one of my favorite corals, good luck with yours. Also, we need a pic.

11. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a few Acans and each one seems to be growing at a different rate. One has been sprouting new heads quickly, a few have been slowing growing, and I have one on a plug that is having trouble sprouting any new heads:confused:

I have heard/read that spot-feeding will help entice them to grow faster, especially if you don't feed your tank every day.

12. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

This one has 10 new heads from the original five. You need to mount the skeleton onto something for it to spread. I glued rubble rock around this one.

[​IMG]