Acan frag question

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Ddubya, May 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

What's the best,safest way to frag 1or 2 polyps from an acan colony that is growing in the (ball formation) since I can't cut through a rock( it's growing on a large frag plug). Can I just snip it like a tulip? And how do I glue a single or double polyp to a plug?

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

No, that'll surely kill them.

You have to cut the skeleton around the polyp and remove the whole thing; polyp attached to skeleton. There are diamond blade band saws available for this purpose, and while that's the easiest way to frag most all LPS it's also the least practical for the average hobbyist. The best alternative is to use a diamond cut-off wheel on a dremel, which is designed to cut ceramics. Using a dremel like this is a bit of a learned skill, and you're likely to mess a few things up before you get it down. Meaning, I wouldn't start on an acan which is either rare or special to you.

Good luck.

4. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

yea I got the dremmel and diamond blade was just scared to try it, guess i'll try on a lesser 1 1st

5. KYLECT

KYLECT Astrea Snail

Buy a reefkeep band saw if you plan on doing this on a regular basis, dremels can tend to heat up the area you are cutting too much which will result in flesh die off.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

if you are going to frag acans, tease the polyps in completely so that there is only a skeleton and then you will have to carefully go around the skeleton very carefuly. I use the inland band saw, but you can use the dremel with a DIAMOND CUTTING WHEEL.

InlandLapidary.com

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

actually go to your LFS and ask for a dead favia skeleton. Then practice going around the skeleton