Acan dying.... Need help to save :(

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by jfenton954, Jan 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jfenton954

jfenton954 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just got this acan about a month ago. It seemed to be fine at first but the bigger part that is dying stayed shriveled up so I moved it several times made sure to target feed him every day. Water parameters are perfect. I run an algae scrubber have a 36watt uv sterilizer an do a weekly 10% water change. Is it to late to save him or does it look like he could make it. What do you think I should do?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

how much flow is he in right now?

try to stop moving him it stresses them out even more it might be hard but just leave it in one spot

what kind of lighting

4. brannock_16

brannock_16 Ritteri Anemone

+1 to flow and lighting. It looks like with the right parameters and care can make a recovery very easily.

Also, what are your exact parameters? How old are your test kits? Did you QT or dip the coral before adding to the tank?

Alk
    Ca
    Temp
    SG
    Nitrate
    Nitrite
    Ammonia
    Mag

5. jfenton954

jfenton954 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I put him on the bottom with low flow he's under 2x250 mh 4x54watt actinic t5s. My test kits are a couple of months old. Yes I dipped him before putting him in my tank.
    Alk- 9
    Ca- 450
    Temp- 78-80
    SG-1.024
    Nitrate-0
    Nitrite-
    Ammonia-0
    Mag-

6. Jon.Peak

Jon.Peak Fire Worm

Im having the exact same problems with my acans.... My two old ones look terrible. One almost completely died off other then 4 head of a colony. My other is completely retracted all the time and the outer rim of each head has died off..

I have recently used CoralRX to dip them.... thought it was working but they are still in the same condition.

Sooo i thought id try a new Healthy Acan from my LFS... Once again he stay retracted.... and tonight while i was fragging other corals i noticed about a quarter inch of die off..(complete white skeleton)... so i dipped him again.

I really hope someone can help us with our problems..

EVERY other coral i have is doing wonderful with lots of growth.
    I have SPS, LPS, Softies, and Nonphoto corals.....
    water conditions perfect.... lighting is 4 t-5 ATI lighting 2 months old.

Im to the point where im giving up... Acans are my favorite coral and i cant have them.

Please help

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Assuming all other parameters are met for them to be happy, and they're not being picked on, dip them in a solution of Furan 2, one API packet per1/2 gallon for 15 minutes. Gently baste around the edges to remove any infection, if present. I usually do a Coral Rx dip afterwards, otherwise, rinse the coral in clean tank water, and discard that water before putting the coral back in the tank.

I used to have all kinds of problems with acans until I started following the procedure for dipping zoas. It works extremely well on most LPS. If I see an acan closed up for more than a day, I dip it in Furan 2.

8. Click Here!

9. Aquatic Castle

Aquatic Castle Plankton

Too much light

I can't really tell what's going on in the picture but it looks like you are not seeing polyp extension or inflation. Acans normally inflate during the day and shrink at night. Lack of inflation can be a sign that the coral is trying shield itself from light. MH can sometimes be too much for acans. Especially if your tank isn't at least a couple feet deep. Also, you are using 250 watters so that makes me lean that way. Try finding a way to cut back on the light they are getting. This might cause it to swell up. Your lights can be very stressful on new corals especially.

Another thing to consider. How close do you have the colonies to one another? Be sure to allow a couple inches of room between different acan colonies and between acans and other corals because they can send out mesenterial filaments, which are like their stomachs in that they can digest corals that live next to them. If you go in there in the morning before the lights come on and before the sun shines in a window, you may even see this happening.

Many corals compete for space with chemical warfare. You said you moved your acans but sometimes a powerfully aggressive coral can pollute a whole tank.

I really think it's the too much light thing

10. Aquatic Castle

Aquatic Castle Plankton

This screen was still open from yesterday. I happened to glance at it and noticed that you are doing 10% water changes. You could double or triple that.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Under 250 halides, I find some acans need to go in the shade. Being on the bottom isn't always enough. Although you can usually acclimate them very, very slowly to more light...

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Agree, too much light. When I ran halides (dual 250's), mine had to be on the sand, near a ledge to partially shade them.