Acan Aussie Lord

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by DoorBoy, Mar 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

I just picked up a frag of Acan with about 20 + heads on it and was trying to find information on it and read that if you frag it, it will grow out faster.

Any info on good ways to frag this coral would be awesome. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

you can use a dremel if you wanna cut it nice and clean or just use a flat head screwdriver as a chisel.

4. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

I just picked up a frag
    How long ago was it fragged..?? You just move it to your tank..??
    It may be under alot of stress, even tho it may not look it..
    You may want to wait a while..
    It sounds like a beautiful coral, be careful ..

Good Luck, Larry

5. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

yeah i just bought it from a store.. it was in the guys frag tank but not sure when he fragged it. Im gonna leave it for a few weeks before i do anything with it.. i dug out a hole in a rock and glued it in there. Ill wait to see how well it grows then decide if i wanna frag it to make it grow faster.

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Fragging it won't really make it grow faster. If you want it to grow faster, feed the polyps some mysis or other meaty item. Acans love to be fed. Also, if you do decide to frag it, make sure the polyps are fully closed and only cut the area between each polyp. If you cut the flesh or skeleton, you will injure it and that polyps may die. Also make sure to cut deeply enough to get all the way through the skeleton.

Also, why don't you post a pic. I would love to see what it looks like.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I personally would not frag it..at least for a while! I have heard the opposite that you loose a lot of it when you frag

Acans grow really fast in my experience. THey like moderate to low light..I place mine towards the bottom of my tank (keeps to color better) and feed the polyps pieces of krill a couple times a week. They are absolute piggies!

Post pics!!!;D I love my acans!

8. Click Here!

9. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

I started feeding mine pellets, works great, they love um

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The only way you really loose them is if you are not careful or don't have the right tools. If you just take a chisel to them, then you probably will loose many, but you have a dremel type tool with the correct attachment, you should be fine. As I said before, if you just cut the area in between the polyps, you should be fine.

11. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

what kind of pellets?

12. jdak

jdak Astrea Snail

I just got one acan polyp and two duncan polyp aussies. From what i understand is they are very easily kept. I only got single polyps to try and now learning more.