about to buy 200 GAL. WAT SETUP???

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by i love eggos, Dec 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. i love eggos

i love eggos Plankton

going to purchase a large tank (either 150-200 Gallons) and I don't know where to start, I want all coral types, fish and everything else. I'm willing to spend around 2,000 - 3,000$ on the equipment (not including the tank it self or stand or canopy)

basicily i want to know what kind of sump/ filtration setup would be the best.

the best lighting setup.
    the best protein skimmer.
    the best calcium reactor.
    ect. ect.

and how to put it together with the overflows to the sump and back again.

i know its a lot of stuff and pretty vauge. just want to see what someone who knows what they're doing will come up with.

This tank is very important for numerous reasons for me and my family ( i might be going away for a while and want something for my family to remember me by so when I get out I can see what my aquarium has become) so please. time is of the issue

2. Click Here!

3. Palvyre

Palvyre Plankton

4. Palvyre

Palvyre Plankton

5. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

I like the fact your willing to get this huge tank but the last statement has me worried.. You said your going away for a while, now it's not my business where your going or for how long, but for the sake of your tank that's the worst thing you could do. Your tanks going to need you, or someone , to attend to it especially durin the first year when it's maturing

Sounds like an awesome build tho. The best sump is the biggest one you can afford/ fit in your house. The best lighting and skimmer depend on the actual size of your tank. Kinda hard to say without exact dimensions.

Putting it together just have your drain plumbed into a section of your sump, the. Get a return pump to pump it back to your tank after its been filtered.

Your going to need power heads, a decent large heater, most importantly an RODI unit. With that much water making trips to buy it will drive you crazy.

That's the tip of the iceberg, hopefully others will chime in.

6. i love eggos

i love eggos Plankton

"vacation"

I might be going away to my "vacation" house (don't know when or even if) but my family and friends would be taking care of it while I'm gone (possibly 1-4 years) so I would need the best/ultimate set-up with easy/self automated controllers, timers ect.
    Would like to hear from you guys about exactly what you would do and what you would buy.
    Whats your ULTIMATE/ fantasy setup for a 200-250 Gallon tank.
    something to think about / hold onto to keep from losing your mind.
    :cheesy:

7. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

I'm on my phone, but when I get home, I got you.

8. Click Here!

9. i love eggos

i love eggos Plankton

go big or don't come home

really thinking about this whole set-up and if I'm join be dropping a couple grand i might as well go big. Im basing my tank size on what's for sale on craigslist because i don't know any "real" aquarium stores in the seattle / washington state area. I'd like something in the 200 gallon range (couple postings on craigslist could make this happen) but I'm thinking 300 gallons and maybe brand new / custom tank, but I don't know where I could buy one locally besides craigslist. If you know of anyplace give a shout, if not then just focus on a 200-250 fantasy setup.
    Describe in DETAIL what gear, how'd you set it up and why.
    I'm going pick the best posting and follow that set-up exactly.
    I'll post pictures and follow up threads of that exact set-up after I choose what-ever you guys vote / think is the dopest set-up posted.
    sorry for so many postings but i really need this to be something i can escape to when I'm stuck "away" and something my loved ones can hold onto and think of me and when i come back something to blow my mind.
    sorry for getting all snow patrol on everybody, just wanted to show how important this tank is for me and everyone i know and love.
    no preasure...

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

If money is no object here (in relative terms) I would budget a maintenance person to come by each week to check on your tank. Especially if you're not going to be there to care for it for 1-4 years. I completely get the idea of having something there for your family to hold your memory while you're out, I got my wife a rabbit when I was sent to Iraq for a year, but unless you absolutely know your family members are going to share your enthusiasm and passion for your reef, then you either need to wait, or at least get a professional to watch over it for you while absent.

11. i love eggos

i love eggos Plankton

yea i trust that the members of my family would be able and totally capable of learning the main aspects and routines of keeping a large reef tank. Im going to be setting it up in my sisters new house so her and my brother in law would have constant supervision along with my mom and dad who come over waaaaay to much. they're not too stupid to follow directions and if a problem/disaster occurred i have complete faith that they can type 3reef.com - Forums for coral reef aquariums, salt water fish, corals, inverts, protein skimmers, aquarium lighting and more! - Your reef aquarium forum to discuss saltwater fish tanks, tropical fish, corals and fish filters. Also freshwater informati / forum / EGGOS NEEDS HELP! and, like my previous postings, have a response from someone who knows what they're more or less typing about in 2 seconds.......hopefully

12. i love eggos

i love eggos Plankton

anybody?

just wanna make sure this thread is still alive cause time is somewhat of an issue for me. gimmie your ideas!:confused: