? about live rocks

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by seabass, Oct 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. seabass

seabass Astrea Snail

New to the salt water seen i have been doing some research about starting a salt water tank. i live on the second floor so I am worried about the weight in my tank. I have a 55g tank i want to have fish and rock. could i use 20 lbs of live rock. I know they say 1lb of rock per gallon.

Thanks
    Tony

2. Click Here!

3. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

I wouldn't worry much about the weight of a 55. If you are concerned you can ease your mind by placing it against a load bearing wall as well as across the floor joists rather than perpendicular to them.

When I lived in a second floor apt I had a 75 on the outside wall. Then another 75 6 feet across from it against the wall for the stairs and a 30 gallon in the corner of two outside walls.

Good luck.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

A 55 like was mentioned won't be a problem It will apply far less load per sq. inch then a refrigerator what is actually the heaviest load on a floor . A 55 is stretched over 5 floor joist and a fride. just pushes down on a 1 in sq area. It will be fine . But as also early mentioned if you set it backed up to a wall then a sill plate will distribute the load a good bit also.

5. seabass

seabass Astrea Snail

cool thanks for the info i was worried at one point seems like not to worry. once again thanks
    Tony