A zillion bubbles

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by whelms, Jul 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whelms

whelms Astrea Snail

Omard, I turned the skimmer off and since it was the normal time to turn off the lights I went ahead. Is it ok to leave the skimmer off til the morning and then check all the lines? i don't want to stress out the fish by turning the lights back on.

2. Click Here!

3. whelms

whelms Astrea Snail

I think you guys are correct, something is loose somewhere! I went ahead and turned off the skimmer-I'll check all the lines.

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

yep, probably something loose, it usually takes 2 weeks to 1 month to break in a skimmer....... have you cleaned it lately?

5. whelms

whelms Astrea Snail

No I havent cleaned it-like take the entire thing out and clean it? It's been up about 3 months now. Skimmners are a new experience for me! I went ahead and turned it back on but closed the air valve-don't know if its ok to leave it off til in the morning.

6. cuttingras

either way is fine. off or on. you have another method of filtering right? if yes then they should be fine till tomorrow, if not and you need to shut it off, they should be fine for a few days...

7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

what brand skimmer, coralife 125 or 220?

8. Click Here!

9. whelms

whelms Astrea Snail

Not sure, just looked through the Red Sea Max owners manual, no reference to type of skimmer.

10. whelms

whelms Astrea Snail

Ok, thanks everyone-although I'm not clear on the subject of "is this overbubbling a problem for livestock and corals" I do think I have a better handle on the problem itself. Forgive me for being such a newbie and also for being so kind! I'm pretty sure I can solve the problem with all the suggestions you guys gave me-thanks again!

11. cuttingras

np hope it clears up for ya soon!

12. railroader46

railroader46 Skunk Shrimp

The black sponge that come with the RSM can cause the bubbles to be produced if it is the real thick one. The one that came with my rsm was about 5 inches thick, so I had to cut it in half. This particular sponge cause the water to flow slowly through it. The skimmer for our tanks is pretty crappy. I hchanged mine out about three weeks ago with a tunze. The media in the chamber of death might be clogged up as well. Good luck