A yellow tang is compatible with....?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by 20ducks, Dec 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 20ducks

20ducks Astrea Snail

I recently established my 46 gall bowfront tank with coral, couple of clown fish and yellowtail damsel and a medium sized yellow tang. The tang is about 2.5~3" long. I sold the clown and yellowtail damsels leaving only the yellow tang, a condy and a tube anenome.

What I would like to do is have only a total of 4-6 fish, same size (or so) as the tang. What would be suggested to have and about the same size as the tang, approx and also compatible with the coral? Any and all suggestions are welcome (just no small fish please. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you do not want smaller fish than I would sure get a bigger tank. Unfortunately your tank is not large enough even for a yellow tang IMO.

A Condy in that size tank with a tang is a risk as well, the tang could very well become a meal for the anemone.

6 fish of the same size of the tang in that size tank is over stocked with the potential for a decline in water quality, aggression issues and disease.

I would sure consider upgrading to a larger system if your desire is to have tangs and other larger fish.

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Angel fish are nice but aren't particularly reef safe. I don't know much about bigger fish do I'm not much help... Do you have any long-term plans for the tang?

5. 20ducks

20ducks Astrea Snail

Okay....how about only 3 fish?

6. SwimsWithFish

~~~bad advice edit~~~~

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I wouldn't.;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I will wager that almost any fish you put in that tank your yellow tang will beat to death. A 3 foot tank just doesn't give tangs a whole lot of room. Now that he is established and the only fish there, any other competitors will be met with hostility. I had a clown and a small YT in a 46bf before I knew better, lets just say it wasn't friendly. Even my False Perc was aggressive in that tank. Now I have a 125 and no aggression from anything

11. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

nobody wants to hear these things, when they are loking at all those beautiful sw fish and you want them so bad, that we throw caution to the wind, what there saying is, you will harm the fish by not having them in the proper size tank, you have to feed these fish alot , fish food and feces foul the tank very quick, there no swimming room for the fish, you will never be able to mantian a stable tank, ick and a host of bad things will happen and the fish will suffer and die in the long run. theses are things that happen everyday, thats what there saying, be kind and good to the wild life and they will give you years of enjoyment:)

12. dee99gt

dee99gt Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I know it sucks to hear what everyone is telling you but they are right. I love tangs and before I knew anything I got a Powder Brown Tang in my 55. After reading I decided in order for me to keep him he needs a bigger tank and that is just what I did. I also purchased a Naso, which in several years will out grow my big tank and by then I'll find him a new home. I got lucky because my Naso and Powder Brown actually get along quite well.