A unique opportunity to help a reef. Possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Monacle, Aug 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Hello, allow me to introduce myself to those of you who don't yet know me through posts and threads. My name is Jeff Bushaw and I live in Vancouver, Washington. I am 31 years old, have been involved with fish and animals since I was a young boy, and love BIG adventure always. I have several threads on this site, my favorite and probably the one I am most known by is my thread in the "Breeding" forum called "A breeding program in Progress".

A rare and exciting opportunity has been presented to me, and with Matt's permission, have decided to use this website and thread as an attempt to help fund this project. A man, who's name I will not mention in this thread, after hearing about the breeding project I have been working on in my garage, approached me. He explained to me that he lives in a place where he owns over 500 acres of reef, which much of, is prime. After sharing with me literally hundreds of photos and surveys of the land and reef he began to share with me what his dream has been. In cooperation with the local government and an association called "Marine Resources" He would like me to head a project in which we propogate the corals from the reef and ship them all over the world. There are other projects that we will be working on as well, such as mangrove re-forestation. (Much of the mangrove has been over harvested for wood fuel use, with no renewable plan.) He was hoping that his daughters who were studying to become marine biologists would be the ones to take up this task, but they married and their interests changed accordingly.

I am the type of person, that believes we should not be "activists" or sit at home or march and whine, and complain about the wrong doings in this world and that if we can, we should DO something. I would like the opportunity to DO a great thing, and help save reefs, by starting a responsible aquaculture program. I believe in captive bred fish and where captive breeding cannot be done, I believe the fish should be harvested in a responsible way without the uses of deadly toxins like cyannide.

I also HATE, all the endless begging by organizations that say that their number one interest is in doing something noble, like feeding a child, or saving a rainforest, or employing the mentally or physically challenged, (I think you know of whom I mean) meanwhile paying their CEOs upwards of over half a million dollars a year. Think about that. This is why, any funds which the donator, wishes to have returned to him/her, will be kept track of and if the program is a success, the funds will be returned, 100% when possible. The money required, is needed to get the program going, we believe the program will be successful and be able to support itself once it has gotten off the ground. I would like to clarify here, that I intend on making this project profitable at a point in the future and am just stating here on why I want to do that. We are looking for donations/loans that may or may not be repaid.

I have a convention in Hawaii, that I will be attending in October, of which the purpose is to connect U.S. citizens who want to do business in this country with the right contacts. After which, I will be making my first trip half way around the world to survey first hand and formulate my plan.

In closing, I am asking, that if any of you are able and willing to provide monetary support for this project, please contact me. Anything at all, will be of great help. We are also looking for people with special skills that are interested in being involved in this project on a more personal level.

My contact information:
    Jeff Bushaw
    16600 ne 99th st
    Vancouver Wa 98682
    (360)887-0706
    jeff at sliceoftime.net
    monacle30 at yahoo.com

the email addresses look like they do to avoid spam bots.... please use the @ symbol with no spaces between the words. Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Great to see action in saving the reef's. Of course, it's gonna take more than action, and that is to make the government aware of the intentions to gain their support.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Jeff can mention a little more detail on where this reef is located?
    Also, how did this guy get in touch with you?
    This is exciting.

5. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

I can share even more information personally by telephone or email, but I can say publicly that the reef is located in a state called chuuk, in the Federated States of Micronesia. This is located by indonesia, and is West of the Marshall Islands, and near Palau, and Vanuatu. To be more specific, you can do searches on Truk Lagoon. It happens to be one of the BEST dive spots in the entire world. The owner of the reef contacted me, because he was told by a mutual friend about the project I have been working on in my garage. He was stateside visiting family. I hope this fills in a couple blanks for you and like I said above, I can be more specific on a personal basis. Thank you again in advance, and thanks to those who are already helping.

GLTA

Jeff Bushaw

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

It sound more like a coral farm project. that would benefit the local Reef and people but also the owner of the reef.

Sounds like a great opportunity but not a charity IMO

J

7. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Not a charity. A future prosperous and profitable project that is started by donated funds/loans that may or may not be repaid. A right thing done in a right way to ensure responsible harvesting and propogation methods.

Jeff Bushaw

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Hakunna Matatta....It means no worries.

By stating that you dislike other charities that take in money and then pay their CEO's big bucks, it kind of implies that you are a charity that won't do the same. You are clear that this is a donation and/or a loan but I had the read the paragraph twice myself to figure it out.

Regardless, you've clarified your position so all is good in the reefing world.

It sounds like a neat opportunity to me. Unfortunately, I can't donate. (I managed to break my back, ankle, wrist, ribs, blow out my left knee, etc. during a two week period while I was between insurance companies....I owe every doctor in St. Louis money. :( It could be worse, I'm not paralyzed and I'm getting better every day).

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Jeff,

To avoid spam bots, I would recommend that you edit your intial post. Change the '@' to 'at' and add a sentence stating that they needed to change the 'at' to '@' when emailing you.

Here are other ways of avoiding email harvesting bots. Spam Bots Part 1 - anti spam information to help you stop spam

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Holy *&%$ How'd you manage that one Curt!?

12. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

No kidding CURT!!..... I am sorry to hear that. What in the world happened? I hope you make a quick and full recovery and I also hope that a solution to the doctor bills presents itself quickly. Best of wishes to you. And thanks for the advice on the post.... I will get right on it