a top of the tank algae scrubber?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by reiple, Nov 14, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

got this idea.

Did anyone have the experience that the return flow line is covered with algae (in my case hair algae?)?
    Could we make something like a tray (like those used in wet/dry filters) and pour water in and it then drops into the tank?
    After a period of time that tray will be covered with algae and all we do is clean it up. a simple scrubber/algae method of harvesting. No additional light needed!

but would it work?
    comments?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I think it would work. It might take a little tweaking to make sure there weren't any microbubbles but it would work.

The hard thing is that the return line is usually very close to the lighting.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I know it would reiple!
    I have a Eclipse 6 Plant tank. I put floss on top of the stock biowheel filter which is above water level. When the floss is dirty, a lot of water spills over the sides into the tank. The front side of the filter gets hit by the light. After a week, algae is all over it. And this is on black plastic! Once in a while, I harvest it.

On a related note, I have thought a lot about vertical algae scubbers for the sump. I was thinking it would be cool to have a spray bar disperse water along the top of a rippled sheet of plastic that is placed vertically in the sump and having a light on it. A plan I saw recently was similar, but the sheets where at angles more like ramps.

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

5. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

Thanks guys. I am building the catch tray now. ;)

6. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

How is the build going? did you manage it? if so how?