A tale of 3 clowns

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by oldfishkeeper, May 4, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Hi All: Well, I went ahead and purchased my all time favorite clown fish (wyoming white). It was small and had just gotten brought back to the LFS because he was being too aggressive with other tank mates. I have two black and white occy's in my tank now and they spend all of their time in their RBTA (lower right side of tank). They are quite aggressive with me (have drawn blood when arm has been in the tank :().

I had purchased a GBTA a while back and have moved that to the left side of the tank near where the new clown has seemingly staked out territory. I just wanted to share how this all went - when I first added the new clown, it shot right down to the RBTA and was swimming with the two clowns there. Quite surprising yes. Well, I think maybe the two clowns were a little sleepy since lights were off and it took a bit of time but mama clown began to attack the new one. I kept lights out for the evening and next day. When I turned them back on, the new clown had found a new spot away from the resident clowns and in some rock work. At least this way it wouldn't continue to be attacked.

So, flash forward to two days after new arrival - my new clown is now out and about on the left side of the tank and swims with mama clown and no more aggression. (thank goodness!). The new one has not taken up residence in the GBTA but I have hopes that it will - it does seem to be swimming near it and checking it out.

I'm not sure how this will pan out over time but for now, I'm really excited that they are seemingly getting along and I can keep my favorite clown that I've wanted for quite some time.

This just goes as further evidence that clowns can sure be interesting and unpredictable creatures! I think that's why I like them so much!

chris adams and Anthony Danta like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

that is really cool ofk.

Totally misread that.. Thought you brought it back.. Then read DSC post.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    oldfishkeeper likes this.
  4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

If I read that right then your Wyoming white is getting along with the others. That's awesome news!

5. Hippocampus

Hippocampus Astrea Snail

I can't wait until my tank is cycled and I can get my clown pair! Glad to here that everything is well now.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

well, at least for right now - I've got what I want :) fingers crossed that it works out over time

DSC reef, Hippocampus and zesty like this.