A steal or junk ??

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Dyonopses1, Jul 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. Steven896s

Steven896s Bristle Worm

I would probably stay away from them but who knows they may be ok

4. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

I used off brands before, they are not the brightest, but work well

5. scott561

scott561 Astrea Snail

ive heard of people using those extremely cheap chineese mh bulbs and them killing things in the tank due to their k rating being way off. i would stay away from those bulbs.

6. averageguys

averageguys Banned

Not to stur up a old thread however these are odyssea bulbs built by aquatraders. We tested these out.

1. They only have a good life of aprox 6 months
    2. The color is NOT true to the stamping. For example a 20k bulb from them is more like a 14k higher end bulb.

3. Granted you cant beat the price but you basically buying double the bulbs per year

4. We ordered 12 of them and upon arrival 4 were non functional and when we inquired about replacing them. WE had to pay for return shipping and then they would have to test them. It really wasnt worth the hassle since the shipping was almost as much as the bulbs.

7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

My own exsperience with cheap ebay m/h bulbs was not good.The one I bought was from a US supplier and cost about $30,it only lasted about three months and it would no longer fire.It was supposed to be 20k but when I replaced it with my 2 year old 14k Phoenix I found the old Phoenix to be much bluer.This is one of the main reasons I switched to led.

8. Click Here!

9. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

Well I have to buy bulbs this month. I need DE 250 watt 2X for my 46 gallon bow front. I do not have any supplemental lighting so "Averageguys" what bulb would you suggest. I am currently running these bulbs 13000K Metal Halide Bulb - Aqualine AB, Double Ended
    They are a little yellow for me and don't enhance coloration enough but I have had great SPS coral growth over the last 10 months.

10. aquariumclown

aquariumclown Astrea Snail

You might try a 14K Phoenix or 14K AquaMaxx. I really like my xm 20k but you may not like it that blue.

11. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

OK...thanks. I had the Phoenix bulbs on my shopping list anyway. I have never read a bad review on those and they seem reasonably priced.

12. averageguys

averageguys Banned

+1 Phoenix very nice bulbs