A Review of the CAD Lights Pipeless Skimmer

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. WolfieCA

WolfieCA Plankton

Hi Matt,

Was ready to click purchase till I got to this last comment. Wondering if you've had any time to try out your DIY fix ideas or if you care to share them. With the footprint in my sump its either this skimmer or tunze 9002. Tia.

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

That's a shame, Matt! Any update on this?

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey guys - sorry for the delay. I've run out of acrylic and need to make a Tap Plastics run to address this. My current plan is to hit it this Saturday morning. If all goes well I will have an update next week.

matt

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Solved

I am happy to report I solved this issue today. DIY fix is easy and cheap. Full report Monday. :)

matt

6. WolfieCA

WolfieCA Plankton

Excellent. Looking forward to the news.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

8. Click Here!

9. bababooy

bababooy Plankton

5 days of skimmate after the first cleaning

not bad at all and it's still not completely broken in.
    [​IMG]

10. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Looks like you have it dialed in,just a couple quick questions for you or Matt as I am almost about to buy one of these and will be putting my own sump together.Are you using the DIY mods and what is your overall rating of this skimmer at this point? Also would like to know the best water level for this skimmer.TIA,Dave

11. bababooy

bababooy Plankton

I'm not using the belt mod. I'm only using teflon tape. I wrapped about 3 complete wraps of the tape as high up on the tube portion that goes into the base. Then I just slid the body into the base and pressed it down snugly. I may have not even needed it but I did it anyways and it's holding the adjustment fine.

I would rate this skimmer about an 8 of 10 for build quality. No issues with the pump at all but it (pump) seems a bit on the cheap side. I don't really care though as long as it's pulling skimmate. I have a small 54 gallon net system with a medium load and so far its keeping up. Mine skims well at 9.5 inches depth and I have my water line in the skimmer just barely below where the neck meets the 45 angle (slightly higher than Matt showed in his pics. I don't know if I would put this skimmer on anything larger than a 75 net system though.

Great little skimmer so far and the price is right on spot.

Tivo

12. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Sounds good,thanks for the info,I think I'll go ahead and do it for my 40b with only ten gallon sump.