A Really Good Looking Light.

Discussion in 'Hamilton Technology' started by Servillius, Nov 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

An aquarium is all about aesthetics. For many of us, they take up a prominent spot in a living room we go to great lengths to decorate attractively. My wife spends well more on a light fixture for our house than I do for a light fixture on my fish tank. Why oh why won't someone make a fixture that can stand beautifully on its own?

I would love to switch back to halides. The minute I find an elegant, attractive fixture with clean finish and proper wire management, I'll be a happy first customer. Why is no one trying to fill this market niche?

DSC reef likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I would say it is more of a matter of Demand. With the advancements of LED as of late, that is the trend on the way fixtures are going.

4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

What if I could get you an LED unit that would put out the power of a 400w halide and you will be able to match the color spec perfectly?
    Great looking unit, low profile, great wire management and you don't have to worry about the heat of those halides.

Interested?

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Sounds like you're seeling these Matt? ;)

zesty likes this.
  6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Nope, just found a great company that can create some amazing LEDs. From what I've seen, they can match and beat anything out there. I was talking to them at the Aquatic Experience yesterday. (Post to follow soon)

Plus, they can match (and beat) any type of lighting out there (that I know of) but they can also match (and beat) MH and not just in power, but in spectrum. You want an Iwasaki spectrum, you got it, you want Radium, just dial it in. Plus, you can still get the pop from the UVs, no need to supplement with T5s or LEDs. All with one unit, no need to change bulbs, low heat, long lasting quality LEDs...

I don't want to sound like a salesman, but these units impressed me.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Since we're on a sponsor forum, I'll say this much. There's a German company out there which makes a halide fixture just as you describe. However, the price tag is equally stunning.

There is certainly a market gap here.

8. Click Here!

9. TrPPnN

TrPPnN Plankton

I know exactly which lights Zesty is talking about... I was also over there at Aquatic Experience this weekend... There was a crowd gathered around their booth and a few of their neighbors looked and turned away as if there were already knowing what was to come...

But yeah, those guys seem like they knew what they were talking about and even had a presentation about the "New Concepts with LED Lights" THAT was actually pretty entertaining. LOL

It was the DEMO of their CRI-47 fixture that was VERY impressive... There was no halides used... just LEDs... and the PAR Meter read above 2600 PAR at 100% at I'm assuming the heatsink they used to stand off the unit with was 12 inches... Everyone was like, NO WAY, PAR meter must be wrong... so they pulled out the LUX meter and it was the correct 1:2 almost linear ratio...

Definitely something to look at... it was probably the only thing that was DIFFERENT and NEW.

zesty likes this.
  10. Hamilton Tech

Hamilton Tech 3reef Sponsor

Hi Servillius,

Can I ask you - how big is your tank? Also, do you have a fish only tank or is it reef?

We make a lot of different metal halide light fixtures and perhaps we have something we can offer to you.

11. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

What can you make me for a 90 gallon with just soft coral.. I had a dual 175 in the past that I liked. I like 12k bulbs.. take my money before the LED people do!

12. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. My tank has a 48x30 footprint and is 22 inches deep. It is an SPS dominated reef.