A question from a beginner

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by phal.repth, Feb 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phal.repth

phal.repth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Fantail goldfish! I love them...So pretty and cute looking. I love the colors they can come in...

Anyways, I have heard that they will eat anything they can fit in their mouths...But does that really mean that they will eat any FISH they can fit in their mouths?

*nervous laughter* I feel really silly asking these questions.

But any answer would be appreciated!

Thank you a ton!

_chi_

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Don't know about goldfish, but when I hear that about a SW fish it is a yes.

4. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Sometimes they do, then sometimes they don't. It all depends on that particular fish's tastes I guess. They are omnivores but they can thrive on a herbivorous diet. I've kept large goldfish in a community tank with zebras and various tetras. I also had a lot of plants in there. I noticed that if I give the goldfish sufficient prepared food they did not eat any of the smaller fishes. They preferred to munch on the plants in between meals.

5. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

I had a massive goldfish once, about 7" long, he later developed a tumor of sorts and died. But before he died I had fish dissapering wit no traces of them in the tank, so My guess would be that "goldie" was Eating them.

6. phal.repth

That helps alot^^ Do they get along with mollies at all I wonder?

7. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Technically, yes, they can eat small fish, but in my experience, that almost never happens. and as far as mollies, the mollies would be too large for them to eat, but molly fry would be a snck for both the goldfish and the mollies.

8. Click Here!

9. phal.repth

Awesome. I wouldn't think they would eat other fish if you fed them well enough!

Thanks!

_chi_

10. fishtongue

fishtongue Astrea Snail

Born and raised in the Florida sun. Fort Lauderdal
    Yeah, Even though goldfish are veggie eaters the rule is-big fish eat small fish. The circle of life. In nature you can't give up protien if it's easy to get. which in a tank it often is.

11. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I thought that mollies and goldfish shouldn't be kept together because of water temperature. Mollies/danios/tetras etc. are tropical and goldfish are cold water. They have different tank conditions and needs. Also, in anything but a larger tank, having a couple goldfish puts off most of the bioload as they are such messy eaters, leaving little room for other fish to live and have clean parameters.

12. phal.repth

Well, as it turns out, my fiance is keeping my molly for breeding. So I won't have her in my tank. So yeah!!

_chi_