a question about frozen home made fish food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Swisswiss, Sep 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

so my ritual twice a day is take a cup, fill it with about 1 finger of DT water and chuck in it half an "ice cube" of the fish food i make.

now iv read several people claiming that the "thawed" water should be thrown out, i just spill the whole content in there.

i dont think a finger of water containing half an icecube of frozen food could really do all that harm, but I'm curious about other peoples habits and thoughts on the matter, so please do share.

regards
    jeff

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I use display water to thaw my frozen, a turkey baster to add the food to the tank, since I have no algae issues to speak of I am not concerned about draining the water out. If I had algae issues I might do it differently.

4. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

I use an auto feeder at lunch time with pellets.

Before lights out I set a chunk of my homemade frozen on one of my MP40s and let it blow around the tank. My frozen is blended squid, shrimp, reef chili and a shot of selcon. After blending, I put the mush in a zip lock, flatten it out to about a 1/4" and freeze it. I also altenate this with mysis. Same thing, set a cube on the powerhead and as it slowly melts it gets blown around the tank.

Every few days I might spot feed some of the LPS with mysis. Once a week I give the serpeant star, bubble coral (8"), and long tenacle plate a piece of squid.

Algae scrubber growing hard in the sump, only film algae growing on glass in the tank. I believe in feeding the tank well. Oh, purple tang gets green Julian Sprung's seaweed about every other day. Probably should give him some everyday since he's suppose to be mainly a vegetarian, but he eats the pellets and frozen like crazy.