A question about bulk-reef-supply

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by lunatik_69, Jan 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

That's odd because they used to have videos on their web site to show you how to mix and I can't find it anymore.:-/

Update: Found it! Bulk Reef Supply Video

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

remember too, this is mg sulfate and chloride mixed. I really think tanks need the mix. I was using epsom salts which is the chloride part and it never would go up, no matter how much I used. I even tried Kent or some other brand and no luck, even after using the whole container, but the BRS stuff worked for me!

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Epsom salts are the sulfate, cuttingras! :)

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

My local reef club did a group buy from BRS last summer and I just ran out of what I bought and am using the b-ionic that I won in a raffle a few weeks ago. I was going to wait till this was gone and get some more but I was able to keep my levels on target with the BRS stuff better that the b-ionic so I am gettig ready to buy some more now.

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

are they? ok I thought it was the other way around....my bad!

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I do use it and really like. I am able to keep my levels steady dosing it. The two part kits are the same as the bulk Ca, Mg, and Alk, but in the correct proportions. BRS is great to deal with and the product is good and inexpensive. Now, I just buy the gallon bags.

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

the bug bit,lol.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I use the 2 part solution all the time. It isnt the easiest to mix but I learned better the second time. Make sure you buy the jugs that go with it, nad for the mag I used a water bottle I had.

But get a funnel and fill up not even 1/4 of the jug with RO water. Add about 1/4 of the stuff (calc or alk) and shake shake shake. I let that sit for about an hour or so, do the next 1/4 and shake and so forth. If you go to fast IMO it will crystalize and not dissolve. However I let it sit about a day before using it and it dissolves. I shake it before using it.

For mag it is particularly important that you mix it up in small portions as you are using a small amount of water for a large amount of crystals. I mix it up when I mix the 2 part up and then let it sit until I use it.

It says to add all the mag at once. I could not bring myself to do that so the first time I added in 3 days. Now I add some in the middle, towards the end of the 2 part and remainder when the 2part is gone. That way I have a constant supply of mag

I go through a gallon in about 1-2 months (135g tank plus I add some occassionally to my 75g FOWLR). I bought only 1 2-part the first time, however shipping adds up so I now buy them 3-4 at a time.

I love it. I was having a horrible time keeping my pH up (ran 7.8 to 8) and have 7 clams (just added my 7th) plus some SPS and that. Now my Ph is perfect all the time and my calcium runs about 460 or so. I will have to recalculate I think wiht the next batch since I have added another clam and some more SPS but it does very good in my opinion.

Once the one gallon is done I just keep dosing with the next package the same. I dont wait any time between them...maybe a day to mix it up....but like I said my numbers have been perfect....

This is the only thing I have ever used so can not really speak on any other methods. I did try kalk a few times but this is soooo much easier