a question about alk dose

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by bobssecrtsn, Mar 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

Hey reefers, i got a weird question and cannot find any answers too. only answers i get is how much alk people dose.
    my perimeters are CA-450/ALK 9Dkh/MG1300

i dose 8.5ml of alk and 3ml of CA and 3ml of Mg DAILY i test all at the same time , which is 6:30 PM for about 7 days already and the BIG 3 is steady. i hear people say dose alk after lights goes out and CA around noon.

so my QUESTION is..

should i dose ALL of 8.5ml ALK at 8:00pm(which is when my lights are off)

OR, should i dose 4.25ml ALK at 8:00pm and another 4.25 at 7:30am(when i leave for work)

if i dose alk all at once will that be considered alk swings?
    THIS IS WHAT I DO NOW,

i dose alk8.5ml, ca3ml, mg3ml 20min apart at 6:30pm
    if i dose 8.5ml of alk, will my alkalinity be like 11Dkh and drop to 9Dkh through out the day?( does it make any sense? )

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Bob

Alk does not always have to be dosed after lights out
    some Alkalinity supplements increase PH some even reduce PH whilst others have no effect on PH at all

its the ones that increase PH that are best dosed after lights out when PH is naturally falling

your adding 8.5 mils of which Alkalinity supplement? Into how much water volume is it the 135 gallons in the sig line? when we know what it is, we will be in a better position to asses what effects that is having on your parameter

In general it is better to spread doses out as much as possible so dosing twice is possibly better than adding it all at once especially if it is one of the supplements that does affect PH

Steve

1 person likes this.