A Powerhead Can Be Used As A Pump, Is This True?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe, May 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe

CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe Flamingo Tongue

Hey 3reef,

I just have a quick question about powerheads and pumps.

I've read about how powerheads can be used in replacement for a pump.

Is this correct?

If it is, can a powerhead be used as a return pump and a pump to run the skimmer? How?

Can any pump be used for a skimmer in case you want to upgrade or if it breaks? Are pumps universal to skimmers?

Can any pump work as a return pump?

What pumps are popular or recommended?

Just trying to figure out all the materials I need so I can buy it. It's my summer project after I get out of college. Woohoo.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

usually powerheads are too small to be used as a return pump, but some can run a skimmer. I have a maxi jet power head running my skimmer. a good return pump just depends on what you need to do. The thing you need to look for in a pump is its flow rate at how ever many feet of head pressure.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Yes and no. Some phs are just smaller pumps, like maxijet phs. Others can't be, such as Koralia phs. If you look at them, you will see why. Most phs are not going to be strong enough to act as a return pump. I highly suggest getting a pump designed to be a return pump and not a ph.

Any pump can be used for a skimmer, but you may have issues with the strength of the pump. You may see that some skimmer have recommened size pumps, but practically speaking, any pump can but used for a skimmer. You just need to make sure you have the right fittings to connect it.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

How big of a tank are were talking? AIOs, ya, the powerhead can be a return pump. Bigger than that... I can't think of one I would use.

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

There is also a difference between a skimmer feed pump and a skimmer recirculation pump. The feed pump uses a normal impeller while most recirculation pumps use a needlewheel or pinwheel impeller to whip the water into a froth or foam. This style is not good for trying to lift or pump volumes of water, only to recirculate it around and around through the skimmer at very low head or restriction.

Many of the small all in one type tanks use a small powerhead as the return pump since there is very little lift or head requirements. The Maxijets have a outlet nipple which is very easy to slip a piece of tubing over so lend themselves very well to being used as a pump. I even use a MJ1200 with a hose attached to clean and drain my sump or to transfer water from buckets or brute trashcans. Lots of uses so its nice to keep a couple around as spares.

7. CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe

But how would a ph function well as a skimmer pump and a return? Does it only work for small tanks?

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

The Aquaclear 70 (802) can be used as a return pump.

Aqua Clear 70 Power Head - Old 802 | Power Heads | Water Pumps & Power Heads | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

I had two lying around from my old tank. When I started this tank I used them both for two returns. One will work fine for a 55 gallon.

File down the nub for the venturi tube on the outlet of the pump and then slide your vinyl return line over the outlet and filed down nub. Soak the return hose in boiling water to soften it up before sliding it on the power head outlet. I can't remember what size hose you'll need.

10. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

if you need a cheap pump checkout harbor freight. for $5 you can get a pump that would beat most powerheads...they dont have the pressure

11. CoLoMbIaNo1LiFe

So which brand pumps would be recommended from the 3reef users for a return pump and/or a skimmer?

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

No one can answer this question without some information such as;

How large is your tank?
    How many GPH is your overflow?
    Are your returns Loc-Line? If so is it "Y'ed off"?
    Are you using flexible hosing or hard plumbing? If hard plumbing how many turn joints are there?
    How big is your sump?
    How many feet is the bottom of the return chamber of your sump from your returns?
    What other type of circulation do you have in your main tank? (i.e. is your return pump considered part of your circulation or is it strictly to get water back from your filtration?)