A nip to the tail

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Yellow Tang, Jul 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

How long does it take for a nip on the tail of a flame angel to heal
    still trying to find the culperit
    in habitants of tank: flame angel, yellow tang, hippo tang, maroon clown, four striped damsel, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, bubble tip anemone x8+

2. Click Here!

3. somethingfish85

somethingfish85 Skunk Shrimp

IME it usually only takes about a week for the fins to clear up as long as the water is clear and the fish is healthy

4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

It can take a couple days to a few weeks. It depends on water quality and fish health. My damsel just got a warning from my maroons the other day and had his tail ripped. It's been 3 days now and it's healed up about 25%. Just make sure the damages don't continue.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

I am willing to bet it was the damsel that did it, mine had been hounding my naso tang so he will be going back to the LFS today!

1 person likes this.
  6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

It will take a few days, to a few weeks. It should be fine as long as you have a decent tank and the "attacks" don't continue. If another fish did it to you FA, I would suspect either the Maroon Clown or the damsel.

However, one thing to take into consideration is that fish can scrape their fins on the rockwork as they move around through it. When this happens, it can look like another fish did it, even though a fish actually didn't do it.

Either way, you should see some healing and recovery in the next few days.

7. Validity

Validity Skunk Shrimp

Dang all that in a 55g? Will you be upgrading soon? or what lol:0

8. Click Here!

9. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

My bets are on the yellow tang. Especially if the flame angel is a recent addition. It was probably testing its boundaries, and some fish just like to show who's boss. Usually 1 nip is all that is required before fish settle down and realize dominance. If it continues to occur- you'll have to pick favorites.

10. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

PS: thats not a bubble tip anemone you have in your aquarium. Can't remember the name of it- but they have an insanely high split rate- almost nuisance levels.