A Near Perfect Auto TopOff System

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ReefSparky, Dec 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

great writeup!!! K+

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Reefsparky,

Where did you get your solenoid? I have been looking for a while for a decent one..

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I've said this before, but although I love my Tunze now and I am in line for a SpectraPure ULPC II, I used a simple Kent Marine float valve for years, even dosing kalk through it, without failure. I just periodically cleaned it. Even with ATOs, husbrandry is key.

This is the 2nd good thread on ATOs this week, here is the other one: http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/ato-ideas-77641.html

anpgp discovered the aquahub on that one. I am impressed with that one for the price.

Me too and that is a direct result of your thoughful and detailed 1st post. K+ Cheers!

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Hey bama. I got it here.

[​IMG]

6. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

ahhh excellent write up Sparky. It's always a joy to read your articles. They're very...though provoking, and might I say moneyoutofmywallet provoking.

1 person likes this.
  7. boostindoo

boostindoo Astrea Snail

sorry to dig up an old thread, i like ur idea reefsparky very simple and cost effective. what do u think about this, a bucket with ro/di with a small power head and instead of running the solenoid, run a relay? the float switch and the relay would be hooked up to a timer also. the time that it stays on would depend on ur power head, timer would open/close the circuit and the float valve would just do its thing. i know relays go bad over a period of time, just as would the solenoid. instead of interupting the actual water flow, i would be interrupting the circuit to the power head. would be cheaper also. so what do u think??

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

Not sure I follow, boostindoo. :-/

10. boostindoo

boostindoo Astrea Snail

sorry, ill try again, lol!! instead of a solenoid, i was thinking about using a relay with a built in timer.
    the solenoid interrupts the flow off the ro/di system, the relay would be interrupting the electricity going into the power head that i will be having inside my ro/di reservoir.
    the float switch will also be used in my sump.
    how well do u think this will work? foresee any problems with it?? hope im more clear this time... thanks

11. ReefSparky

OK, gotcha. That sounds like it would work. So flesh it out. What would you put on the NO contacts, and what would go on the NC? What happens if it fails in both scenarios?

12. boostindoo

boostindoo Astrea Snail

was thinking bout running it no. nothing on the nc. when the timer comes on the no would become nc and turn the power head on and the float switch will be working. water would go into the sump if needed. ill have to see how much water will flow from the power head to set the timer.
    i actually was thinking maybe i wouldnt need the relay and just have the float and power head to a timer....unless i used a timer with the timer relay and reversed the no and nc, it would be a failsafe for my timer....man, dunno now, lol!!!