A lot of nusiance algea..

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Wilber, Apr 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

I have a littly cyano, bubble, short green "hair" algea on the rock, and a green film on the glass all the time.

Should I be concerned, as the tank has only been up for 5 months now, and I have started using RO/DI water and done probaly 50% in the last two weeks.

Snails are mowing down the green stuff as well as my yellow tang.

I blasted some of the cyano away with a powerheard, and im going to suck the rest off with a shipon and add another 4 gallons of RO water.

Im just saying its becuase of the maturation and blooms it goes thru.

Opinions?

2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

I think you're doing the right thing. Frequent water changes will help remove a lot of the phosphates in your ro/di-tap water mixture. Keep up the fight!

1 person likes this.
  4. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

Thats what I figured, becuase Rather than being in there picking it all off and stressing my tang I'd rather just do water changes.

Even yesterday I did 14 gallons, weird number I know. haha. But The film on the glass is less intense. only wiped it once today as opposed to three times.

5. slocal

slocal Doot!

I'm wiping once a day down towards my substrate, just to gauge.

6. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

Ya. So its gotten much better I guess.

Ill keep up the aggressive water changes then

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Guys - hope you dont mind me chipping in

I note from another thread that you have TEK t5s - Im assuming this is an upgrade on your tank?

thus if you have improved/ increased your lighting that may well help to explain the algae proliferation

I went from 4 x T8s X 40 watt when tank was FOWLR and upgraded to 6 x 80 watts so as to be able to include corals - despite a slow introduction, cuttng down on light up period , I still end up cleaning glass 2 or 3 times a week, when under the T8s once a week was adequate

as Slocal also indicates the fact that you started with tap, does mean you probably had/ still have excess nutrients and nutrients + light + algae spores = algae problems

keep on top of it as you are doing and IMO its a phase that will pass

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. slocal

slocal Doot!

Nice catch with the new lights steve

10. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

Yes they are new, And have been on there for about a month or so running on timers. The tank will catch up with itself soon I guess.

11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Wilber , Im sure your right, one other aspect to consider is flow, Cyno IME likes areas of little or no flow and in my systems has nearly always been on the sand bed or lower rocks - I like many others have lower flow in bottom third of tank than in upper 2 thirds as this gives me an area for corals that dont like to much flow

Steve

12. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Get some Phosban if you don't have it or any ferric oxide and use in some high flow. Its a good idea to fix the algae problem now before it gets out of hand also feed less until you have it under control