A Look at the ReefSpectrum P47 LED Light

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

There must have been 50 things around me at the time this aquarium light caught my eye. Corals upon corals in tanks here and there. Dozens of people walking the aisle and giant banners trying to show me the latest and greatest. But before my mind could catch up, my eyes focused like lasers on something truly out of place ‚ carbon fiber. I couldn't believe it. There was a nice big piece of carbon fiber beautifully arched over what appeared to be a powerful aquarium light. This spare-no-expense attitude drew me in. I had just entered the the world of ReefLEDlights. Check out the impressive specs on their ReefSpectrum P47 LED light below.

[​IMG]

It all started with the carbon fiber, but I quickly realized there was some serious hardware worthy of such a cover inside. If components such as CREE XT-E LEDs, Hyperon Drivers and Carclo Optics get you excited, then the ReefSpectrum P47 may be a light for you. My perspective is a bit different but certainly could represent a demographic for this light. I am an old-timer that is still pretty happy with my halide/T5 combo. The evolution of LEDs has been interesting to watch but very few of these lights have excited me enough to jump into the pool. Seeing it in person, the ReefSpectrum P47 had me at the edge checking the temp with my toes. The combination of high-end components, customization and the loads of aluminum topped with carbon fiber was really alluring for this guy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me explain a bit about the customization. The ReefSpectrum P47 is controller ready for Apex, Reef Angel - any controller that can handle a 1-10vdc analog input. Not entirely uncommon anymore but certainly a nice option to have full control over the light settings. If you don't have a controller, they do offer a 'dimbox' for $40 that allows you to adjust strength and spectrum of the light manually.

[​IMG]

In the future, there is a direct connect to your computer in the works via a USB cable as shown above. This is still in beta at the moment.

If you want to go the DIY route, ReefLEDlights has a lot of DIY LED kits available too.

[​IMG]

I have noticed that the attention to detail of the ReefSpectrum P47 carries over into ReefLEDlights' web site. There is actually a ton of content to be found there. Start with the "LED FAQS" dropdown menu for DIY tips and product guides then make your way over to the homepage for video tutorials and the "LED My Tank" for a great overview of LEDs for reef tanks. Lastly and not least, the ReefSpectrum P47 manual (attached) is loaded with helpful details. ReefLEDlights has one of those "Designed by Reefkeepers for Reefkeepers" mottos and it shows with the passion and details. Somebody spent an awful lot of time putting all this together.

[​IMG]

ReefLEDLights ReefSpectrum P47 Light
    • Dimensions 18 1/4″ X 9 1/2″ X 3 3/4″
    • Fully dimmable with the Max Intensity (PAR) between a 250 and 400 watt MH.
    • LEDs are specifically binned for optimal looks and performance.
    • Driven by three of our own highly reliable, high efficiency 40 watt Hyperon Drivers.
    • Dimmable from 20-100% intensity
    • Fans are super quiet rated for 50,000 hours.
    • Optics are Carclo for optimal penetration and performance.
    • Controllable via optional manual controller “Dim Box”.
    • Controllable via ReefKeeper, Profilux, APEX or any 1-10vdc analog input.
    • With no controller Fixture defaults to 97% Intensity
    • Colour Temp 10-20K depending on intensity setting
    • Perfect for SPS and Clams
    • No Kidding direct replacement for a 250 watt MH or 400 watt Radium. Measured Uncorrected PAR @ 24″ over 460
    • Power consumption 118 Watts with twice the PAR of generic 120 watt Chinese Fixtures and 40% more efficient than Hybrid ones.

Components:
    • 24 Premium XT-E Royal Blue
    • 6 XP-E Blue
    • 15 Premium XT-E Cool White
    • 2 XP-E Blue Moon Light
    • Note: Hanging Kit or Dim Box are not included.
    • 3 year warranty Parts and Labor
    • Proudly MANUFACTURED IN USA
    • Designed By ReefKeepers for Reefkeepers
    • Warning: If replacing Power Compact or T5 Lighting please dial this light back. Once acclimated your corals will have the best intensity and spectrum available in a LED Fixture.

Tank, Size, Number of Fixtures
    • 29g (30″x12″x19″) 1 5
    • 40g Breeder (36″x18″x17″) 1 1,5
    • 40g Long (48″x13″x17″) 2 5
    • 50g (36″x18″x18″) 2 5
    • 75g (48″x18″x21″) 2 5
    • 90g (48″x18″x24″) 2 5
    • 120g (48″x24″x25″) 2 2,4,5
    • 125g (72″x18″x23″) 3 5
    • 150g (72″x18″x25″) 3 5
    • 180g (72″x24″x25″) 3 2,4,5
    • 210g (72″x24″x28″) 3 2,4,5
    • 330g (72″x36″x30″) 4-6 2,3,5

MSRP $525

Some may balk at the price and go with something much cheaper like the myriad of Chinese LED lights on eBay, but this could be a case of 'buyer beware.' While not cheap, ReefLEDlights does offer a staggering 3 year parts and labor warranty and is made here in the USA.

[​IMG]

The ReefSpectrum P47 has been out for a bit less than a year I believe. I may have even seen pictures of it before, but seeing it in person is a lot different. If you've spent hours to create a clutter-free, gorgeous reef tank with quality components, the ReefSpectrum P47 LED light could be the icing on the cake.

Now I just need to make a carbon fiber aquarium stand.

matt

Web site:
    Reef LED Lights - Reef Aquarium Lighting

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I spoke with these guys at MACNA; they know what they're doing.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well if they have your stamp on approval that has to mean something Hunter! :)

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Hey, I was like you: the enclosure is what first caught my eye.
    Shiny object! Carbon fiber!

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Exactly. :rolleyes3

7. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

I think it's one of the best EXCEPT that awful spectrum.

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I tried talking to these guys about a year and a half ago. They acted like I was wasting there time and were too good for me. While it is nice to see they are working on their friendliness, they lost any possibility of me being a customer from that point on.

10. Kordova

Kordova Astrea Snail

Wowwzers, that's one of the best designs/LED layout I've seen to date... And the carbon fiber case is just icing on the cake. Those XT-E LED's are the best in class, simply put. Only down fall to this fixture is the fact it's dimming capabilities are from 20%-100% which isn't a huge for some people but some do prefer lower dimming capabilities.

If I wasn't such a DIY'er I would definitely consider buying this or keep this one in mind at the very least.

11. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Well to be fair Luxeon Rebels are very similar and Luxeon M's are better....

12. Kordova

Kordova Astrea Snail

I did underline the word class....Not sure how you can compare Luxeon M's to Cree XT-E LED's when one is a 12v-11w compared to a 3.5v-5w... Needless to say they are in a different class all together.

So yes Luxeon M's are better if you compare the two but they are completely different LED's with different characteristics and Rebels are close but not quite so while you're statement is true I believe my is as well.