a little scared, need help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by razvan, Oct 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. razvan

razvan Astrea Snail

hi,

my problem is divided and for that reason I can't diagnose it.

A week ago i brought home a bird wrasse and a cinamon clown.
    I already had a porcupine puffer (2inch) and a spotted grouper (2inch)

Today i was monitoring the fish and i noticed a number of things:
    the clown fish seems to have abut 6 white dots( like ich) in the head reagion. he is very active, eats well (too well), and his colors are vibrant. he does not breathe too fast, and has no interest in going to nthe surface.

My wrasse seems fine too, swimms alot, eats well, vibrant colors, but since the first day i brought him in, he would tap against the live rock. (I would say like maybe 2/day on average)

my pocupine is pale, and he breathes a bit hard. I find him sleeping on the sand, but many times he likes to be near my power head (where most air bubbles are in my tank). at first i thought he was stressed because i fed him some shrimp and it was hard on his digestion, and now i give him crab, but he always swallos a large chunk.

my grouper only looses its color sometimes, i figured if he is hungry, or scared. his behavior is just like when i brught him home. likes to hide most of the time.

If you have read all this thank you. and i apreciate your interest in helping.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

have you checked your parameters?

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sounds like theres not enough O2 in your water. Have you done a oxygen test? Luna

5. razvan

razvan Astrea Snail

hi,

i wanted to see if i could collect some samples off of the clown, to look at under the microscope.

i pulled him out, but when i did, i could not find any spots on him. after putting him back, he did not have spots, now i see a fewcoming back.

6. razvan

razvan Astrea Snail

the nitrates are a little high, 0.2, and tommorrow im going to my lfs to buy some water.
    how do i do an O2 test?,

i read about the clown disease, but the thing is that they all show a little of the symptomes, and not enough to say that is it, (and to consider chemical treatment)

in my sump i have two guppies, they are doing just fine. i use them as a model (i would expect them to be stressed before any of the oter fish)

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Could also be dinoflagelettes...

A lot of people dont know you can convert guppies to saltwater just like Mollies. Ive done it several times to use them as feeders...

8. Click Here!

9. razvan

razvan Astrea Snail

mine were meant as feeders, but my puffer never caught them and now they live down there.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

guppies are pretty hardy so i don't know if they would be stressed first

mollies actually do better in saltwater from what ive read, i don't know about guppies but there in the same family

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I will suggest that when you post and are asking for help or for ideas, please include all basic information. Basic information should include; all water parameters(Calcium,Magnes ium,Alkalinity,Ph and Nitrate and Phosphate levels) along with Temp. of your tank and Sg (specific gravity).Size of tank and complete set up meaning, filter type (sump, canister etc.), if you use a skimmer,lighting (what type and total output)plus what type of lighting are you using and what is your lighting schedule (how long a period are your actinic and daylights on) and if you have fish only with live rock and if you keep
    corals. Also how long the tank has been up. I know some of this is in
    your bio but many bios don't contain this info. How many times has someone posted and then there is this list of postings addressing the above. If you give the most info you can to give us a good profile, it will cut down on response time and mis-diagnosis or answers that don't
    fit and we will all benefit.

12. razvan

razvan Astrea Snail

thank you for the suggestions.
    i think it may have been the O2 amount.
    I added a water pump and a second powerhead, and now my puffer has regained its color , and he does not stay at the surface anylonger.

the tank looks better too.