A little help with a brain please

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by kss2801, Nov 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

Hey everyone,
    I got this brain coral yesterday. When i brought it home i noticed a small white tube on it, like a little feather duster, i tried to snap off the tube with my nail, the tube came off but so did a piece of coral flesh. It looks like it's healing up already though and the coral looks to be fine. Is there anything I should do or look out for?
    Also the feather duster is still there, maybe i only got part of the tube. What can i do to remove it? Should i remove it? It's in the middle of the brain between the flesh. Is it even a feather duster?
    Lastly can anyone give me an id for this brain, or at least the type of brain it is?
    Thank you.
    Kevin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You could do an iodine dip to help the coral. Use tweezers to remove the offending tube. If it is a duster it will not be a problem.

Not sure what type of brain it is. Looks pretty tho.

1 person likes this.
  4. kss2801

Thanks I really like it. k+
    Well the coral seems to be doing fine, could i just apply some to the spot. What should I look out for to know if something is going wrong, like an infection? Can i just buy iodine from the drugstore?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes you can just make sure it does not have any additives.

There is nothing I can think of to put directly on the tissue.

Brown jelly disease is something you should watch for, it sets in quickly and kills quickly. It looks like it sounds, brown jelly.

Personally I would just watch it for the next 24, usually you see improvement.

If you go to Liveaquaria.com you can probably find the type of brain that it is.

1 person likes this.
  6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You should dip it in iodine and yes you can get it from the drugstore. Get tincture of iodine. Use 15 to 20 drop per liter of tank water. DO NOT add to the tank. Dip for 10 minutes and then rinse in clean tank water. They seem to be quite hardy IME. Look for brown jelly disease type damage.

1 person likes this.
  7. kss2801

Ok thanks for the replies.k+
    i will keep on eye out for any signs of infections. I will dip the coral if i don't see anymore improvement.
    Truthfully I'm a little nervous about dipping the coral and don't want to do it unnecessarily.
    I will check liveaquaria for an id. I kinda have it narrowed down to either a mazed brain or a lobo.

8. Click Here!

9. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Nice brain, I'm gonna get another one as well sometime this week. It's a dented brain. The iodine dip is good but not necessary if you're seeing the tissue regrowing over the damaged area.
    The feather dusters are surrounded by soft tubes so if the tube is hard, it may be another type of worm. Nothing to be too worried about tho.

1 person likes this.
  10. kss2801

Thanks for the ID. I'll keep an eye on it for now.
    It's the little white tube worms that grow randomly about the tank. i just thought it was weird that it was growing out of the fleshy part of the brain.
    How's your tank doing?

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Looks like a Symphyllia wilsoni to me. It's not a maze brain and I don't think it's a lobo either. Wilsoni's are generally expensive.

1 person likes this.
  12. kss2801

That looks like a really close match too. I hope it is a wilsoni, that would be sweet. i'll post a video, maybe that will help with an ID. k+