A guide to keeping Sps, Lps, and softies.

Discussion in 'Coral' started by BMXCLAY, Jan 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BMXCLAY

BMXCLAY Purple Spiny Lobster

Can I please have help with SPS, LPS, and softie corals. I just got my light so I am going to be adding corals soon. It would be awesome for some tips and refreshing me on some general care/

2. Click Here!

3. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

Soft Corals: lower lighting demand, low to moderate flow, appreciates some nutrients in the water. fairly easy in general. can be fed but not necessary. no fancy equipment needed overall.

LPS: Moderate Lighting with lower to moderate flow, stable calcium and alkalinity. can be fed to speed growth, but typically not necessary. skimmer may not be needed but will make your life much easier. have a test kit and a dosing method for calcium and alk.

SPS: Moderate to Strong Lighting, high amounts of water flow, very stable calcium and alkalinity, very clean water as in very low nitrates and phosphates. probably want to have a skimmer and routine water changes, have a test kit and a dosing method for calcium and alk.

4. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

also, starting off with soft corals is the best idea since they are typically pretty forgiving. as your tank ages and you as a reefer become more advanced then move to LPS and SPS which are overall very sensitive animals. I didnt add SPS until my tank was about 7 months old and i learned how to keep my all my levels stable.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

While personal experience speaks volumes, I would get any of the excellent book on this topic, you will read them many times and reference them many times.

The Reef Aquarium volumes I, II, III are all excellent books.

So many great book out there including ones on SW fish disease, propagation......

6. BMXCLAY

BMXCLAY Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok thank you!! I have had a successful soft coral tank before. I have very high lighting and low nutrients in my tank now. My tank is also 2 years old. I would like to do SPS in the center of the tank and LPS and softies on the outskirts.