A few ???s about a seperate fuge w/ my W/D

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Powerman, Nov 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So I have been trying to figure out how to turn my MegaFlow4 into a fuge. I don't see it happening. If I put a larger sump/fuge under my tank, I would have to take the tank off my stand and do it from above. Even the W/D had to be loaded from the top.

So now I am thinking about putting a fuge next to my W/D sump. I have a Mag5 supplying water to my chiller. I was thinking of using that pump and after the chiller just returning it to the fuge. I would hook up the fuge, or drill openings for the fuge to overflow back into the sump. The good thing woul dbe that the return section would be in between the fuge and the skimmer section.

I'm thinking a 10g tank would be too small. I might be able to fit a bigger box.

So would a 10g tank be too small for my 90g?

Also, would a Mag5 be too much flow for the fuge?

Is a "fuge" that big of a deal compared to just a turf scrubber? Meaning nutrient export would be about the same, but a fuge offers a bit more. Is it worth it?

ETA: I have a space of 20Lx14Hx14W inches.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Fuges have gained popularity in the years over the turf scrubbers but just like fashion, the reef "style" go in cycles as well. If you can only manage a turf scrubber it's still a better form of nutrient export than nothing, or bio balls for that matter. How attached to your mega flow are you? If it was MY tank I would scrap the mega flow and hook a 29 or even a 30 gal tank. If you have the stand I am thinking of, you could easily fit in a 30 gal tank and if you could put in a divider if you'd like to partition a sump and fuge in the tank.
    I would recommend going that way over the megaflow.
    And as far as what you propose, I personally are visually orientated so if you have pics it would be easier for me-at least.

Good luck

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

from the sounds of it what I'd do, a 10g tank is fine, but 500gph is way to much flow, you can use a mag5 but you'd need to setup a ball valve on the side sending water to the fuge and dial it down to about 150-200gph

Personally I like to have a all in one tank though at least for sub 6' long tanks I had my sump made for about 200 bucks by a LFS to the exact specs I wanted, I think Luna did the same thing just not sure what he paid. Basically your best to have the drain from your DT being split and most of it going to the sump with a small amount going to the fuge

5. MAZILLA

MAZILLA Flamingo Tongue

I have a 10G fuge that gravity feeds into a 20G L sump. I set it slightly higher than the 20G and added a bulhead and ball valve that feed into the sump. On my tank I designed it that way so one of the two main drains feeds into the fuge, and the other into the sump. This way if there is ever a failure on one of the drains the second will handle it and there is no risk of overflow etc etc.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I don't have a drawing of what I want, but here is my sump.

[​IMG]

I was just going to slide the sump over to the right, and attach a fuge to the left side. That is also the return section of the W/D/ I was going to do something simple like bulkhead fitting to attach the two together. Say 3 to provide the flow.

I'm not attached to the MegaFlow. The W/D just isn't set up to do anything usable with. I could do a turf scrubber in it though. However, like I said, I would have to take down the tank and move it off the stand to put a 30gal in there. That's can be done, but not desirable.

Also... I don't have a lot of height under my stand. W/ my skimmer and all, a 30 gal is going to be rather tall. I have considered it, but at 18" that would be difficult. My sump is 14".

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

That pump for my chiller just does not seem that much, but... Well I can split my DT drain, or even split my return from the chiller pump.

Is it best for the fuge to get water straight from the tank? If it got it from my chiller pump, it would only go through filter pad first.

I do have a LFS here that builds a lot of stuff. They build their own sumps.

As I have said though. I would have to move the DT though to do that.

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

it's best for the fuge to get unfiltered water, for the macro's/plants to thrive and do their job they need to be able to get the most NO3/PO4 plentiful water you can provide if you look at my build thread you can see how mine is designed it's a pretty common/popular theory on how it works

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Thanks a lot. I will. I need to go to bed now though. I'm on Vampire hours this week.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So then what is the general rule of thumb when it comes to figuring out fuge flow???