A Few Of My Fish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Wrassman, Mar 11, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Ok, I'm proud of my fishies. That's the reason I got into this hobby in the first place, the FISH!!! So, I'm going to post a few pics of my fish for you. I love each and every once of them. ;D

This first pic is my Maroon Clown, BoBo. BoBo has a pretty foul attitude. When I stick my hand in the tank for any reason, he attacks me like I'm going to rip off his fins.

Anyway, here he is, in his LTA, looking none too happy:

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

I'll do one more and then I'll take a break.

This pic is of my Checkerboard Wrasse (Halichoeres hortulanus).  Once again, I got him when he was very small (a little over 1").  He is reef-safe, to a point.  He tends to move things around as he looks for food.  This has only recently become a problem, as he has gotten so large (he is a little over 4" now).  He will probably get another couple of inches larger, so I'm setting up a FOWLR tank so he will have a new home.  He also likes to eat small snails and crustaceans, again not a problem when he was small.  But the larger he gets, the larger "small snails and crustaceans" become.

I really like Fido, and I do plan to keep him.  He just has to go out of the reef tank, soon. :eek:

Edit: Spelling. ;D

Attached Files:

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Great fish Wrassman! [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]

And great names too. ;D

If you go to the '40 breeder' page my old roomate had a maroon clown for over 7-8 years before he gave him away. :( It was a character, very crumpy and territorial.

I see you like Wrasses. ;D (DUH!) I used to have a rainbow wrasse I think it was called in the 40 until it jumped! I loved that fish though. I always thought it had the personality of a puppy. Maybe it was the way it swimmed.

You take great photos Wrassman. Maybe you should upload some to the member gallery! ;) [smiley=clown.gif]

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

nice pics
    i love maroons but they would be a little to aggressive for my fish i think and that wrasse cool colors on him ive been checkin out some wrasses and love the colors on em hmmm maby a wrasse tank next lol

6. Wrassman

Just thought I'd stick another pic of BoBo in this thread, now that I have him uploaded in the gallery. I love this one because of the look on his face:
    [​IMG]

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

he looks like hes sayin yo man u taken my pic what u taken my pic for

hahaha ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[smiley=laugh4.gif]

nice one karla.

10. Wrassman

[quote author=karlas link=board=Fish;num=1047388724;start=0#5 date=03/14/03 at 04:09:38]he looks like hes sayin yo man u taken my pic what u taken my pic for

hahaha ;D[/quote]

That is EXACTLY the look he has on his face! Perfect, karla! Thank you!!! ;D ;D ;D

11. Wrassman

You've probably read my little article on Dottybacks. I think they are great reef-fish. But you have to be cautious. Some of them are so territorial that they bully everything else in the tank (the P. diadema for instance). But, if you read everything you can about a particular dottyback, and watch the dottyback you want and how he/she reacts around other fish.

[​IMG]

Here is one of my dottybacks, it is a Pseudochromis porphyreus, or a Strawberry Dottyback. I call him "Moby Grape," after a San Fransisco rock band of the late 1960's.

"Moby" is a good fish; he is not overly aggressive. He eats well. He does "defend" his territory, but only against the Checkerboard Wrasse. Everyone else can come and go as they please. For some reason, he just doesn't want "Fido" around his territory. They dispay at one another, and I've seen an occasional nip, but nothing serious. You have to expect an occasional nip, if you are going to keep dottybacks. ;D

12. Wrassman

And now, since I showed you "Moby," I think it's only fair that I show you "Mr.Cairo."

[​IMG]

[glow=Maroon,3, 300]"Mr.Cairo" is named after a character in the Maltese Falcon, played by Peter Lorre. "Mr.Cairo" is a Pseudochromis fridmani, or an Orchid Dottyback.

I would have to say that out of all the dottybacks I've ever owned (and I've owned a bunch), the Orchid Dottyback is the most peaceful of all of them. He doesn't go looking for trouble. He has a little territory that he calls his own, but he rarely defends it, the way "Moby" does. He does get into scraps now and then, but they are mostly with "Moby," and sometimes with "BoBo."
    [/glow]​

Like I said in my post about "Moby," you have to expect a few scraps now and then, if you have a dottyback. I have TWO. ;D