a few new frags :)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Dingo, May 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I picked up a few new frags the other day and they are really liking the tank!

[​IMG]

From front to back: GARF Bonsai, RM raspberry lemonade, ORA Hawkins, (there is an abrotanoides in there but its hard to see), and the one in the back is simply called Sanjay's red acro. But look at how happy Sanjay's acro is! WOW!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

That is a very nice score Dingo,

They sure look healthy from image, I wonder specifically what Sanjay's red arcopora is?

Garf is another on my list. For some reason the Hawkins scare me. Smooth skin seen to not like my tank so much, is it the one farthest back behind Sanjay's Red? If so that is a nice size frag.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

We arent sure what his is specifically... and it is hard to ID because it will take on any type of growth pattern. In Sanjay's tank, it is a table... but in Ken Feldman's tank (another professor at PSU that writes for advanced aquarist) it takes on a stag growth pattern!

The GARF is probably the best colored one I have ever seen... and the mother colony was massive!!!
    The hawkins is the one in the back... its the tallest one with the turquoise and blue tips. I am not a big fan of the smooth skins either but I figured this one was worth a try since it is super pretty and supposed to be more hardy than the others. They are all pretty happy so I am pretty sure ill have good results :)

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I do like smooth skin, I would love to have one of those nice big colonies of Fire/Ice. I just do not think I could pull it off in my tank presently.

Hawkins add a lot of nice blue and green so I like them as well. I tried one a couple years ago and failed miserably.

If you would pm a link to Sanjay's thread I would like to check it out, even if it's old. I have not seen any new stuff as of late from him.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great adds, congrats

1 person likes this.
  7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I have no clue where Sanjays thread is hahaha... I just talk to him in person all the time.
    I guess there was the one where he had a TOTM but im not too sure if there are any others?

Here is a picture of it from Ken
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Awesome frags Trent! :)

1 person likes this.
  10. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

Awesome frags! But hey dingo, what are the little "thread" looking things coming off the acro? Is that the polyps just way out or what?

I'm a noob to the sps game, so I'm just curious :)

11. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

AwEsOmE frags!
    All of them look very healthy and colourful ;)
    JJL

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Well i dont know their exact name... but I would guess it is part of the polyps gastrodermis or some type of digestive filament that is being extended.

I notice this in all my happy corals and others have noticed this in theirs also... this red acro has them out ALL the time and farther than any other acro that I have seen though!