A different Flow Question

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Wilber, Feb 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

Ive been desiging my fuge over the last few day, and finally settled on skimmer on the left and fuge on the right with return in the middle.

Then I got to thinking if my overflow pipe is one inch (may be 1.25") and can only flow up to 600 GPH by gravity, and the skimmers mag 12 uses 1200Gph, and at the same time im returning to the DT whats ganna happen here? will I Run the thing dry? Just been pondering this.

Thoughts Please!

2. Click Here!

3. scottf

scottf Astrea Snail

you can always put a ball valve on the return side to slow the pump down..i have the same setup my return is in the middle im running 1 1/2" going into sump and 3/4" coming out to a couple of scwd's than to the tank

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  4. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

Ill probaly dumb it down by putting in a ball valve and return it back to the sump, I guess we will see tomorrow hopefully.

5. scottf

scottf Astrea Snail

you shouldnt have a problem..a good thing to do to is to mark your sump where the height is going to be ( with a piece of tape or something ) so you know when you need to add water due to evaporation...you can also make your own overflow box to instead of a pipe........DIY Overflow Box....... its pretty much the same one i made except i went with the specs off of a cpr cs150 overflow box its slightly bigger and uses a 1 1/2 bulkhead on the bottom good for 1600gph you can get the specs right off of cpr's website i havent had a problem and im running a rio 26hf and with a 4'head it runs around 1300-1350 gph and the box keeps up fine it cost me around $40 to make it was easy maybe took an hour to bend cut and weld-on the pieces...

6. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

Just had a thought, Could I use the pump for the skimmer plumbed directly below the drain on the tank, T is somewhere to skim water off for the fuge, and then push the rest through the skimmer?

7. scottf

scottf Astrea Snail

im confused on what you want to do i guess. you want to put the skimmer pump and plumb it in directly on your 1" or 1.25" line coming off your overflow? is it an in sump skimmer? i wouldnt on your in sump skimmer (if thats what it is) they like to be 6-8" under water depending on the unit they all have a certain range that they like...i think you will be fine if you just dumb down your return line..did you check out the diy overflow box to make a bigger one..you can always ask otty,tangster,packleader,rhorton,luna...they seem to know everything about all this stuff :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

Yes. Then I will pull more water through the drain. But I guess before I get all complicated i will try it with it just being gravity fed.

Its a bullet 1 by PM. The instructions say It must be above the running water level in the sump to maintian a low enough water level inside the skimmer. But it will have 6.5" inches of water below it (I got a stand)

10. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

Maybe I don't understand. If your skimmer is pulling 1200 gph out then it must be putting 1200 gph back in. My skimmer pulls from the sump and returns to the sump.

It's a net Zero equation.

11. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

Never looked at it that way, I was just worried that if It needs 1200, and the drain can only flow 600 whats ganna happen?

12. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

If it is taking the water from the same place it is returning the water then the only difference is the total volume that the skimmer holds at any given moment. That should be a negligible amount.