A confession......

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by PharmrJohn, Aug 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Forgive me 3reefers, for I have succumbed to temptation. I converted my QT to a nano (no, I never used copper in it...but you can see the silicone is stained with malachite green. I think it's cool.). I have a one inch sandbed, 10lbs of LR, a large brittlestar that is going back to the LFS here soon, a large HC that will stay until I get corals and three Turbo Snails (it needed cleaning from the diatom phase.....two are going back to the 75g today).

While at the LFS yesterday, my kids reaaaalllllyyyyy wanted the two cute nemos. So I got the Perculas (false). They are a mated pair.....now this brings up a question. The kids asked.....and I did not know. I am assuming the female is the larger one. Does anyone know.

Wow......now I have to set up another QT. You know what that will lead to..........Hehehehe.

See what happens when the wife goes out of town? The kids narced me off and I could just imagine her eyes rolling up around to the back of her head!!!

Peace.......John.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

The larger one is the female. The clowns get me into trouble. I had three tanks going just so I could have three different sets of clowns.

4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

thats awsome john!! what species are they?

5. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

John, your wife is still out of town??? LOL She may never leave you alone again.

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

False Perculas

You may be right!!!! And she is gone until tomorrow night. I am heading back to the LFS tomorrow morning to get a few more things. Good thing she did not leave for a week!!!

And the great thing is.....she cannot argue with me on this one. She got to leave to hang out with her sisters for a full weekend and left me with the kids. Not that I mind. I don't. I love it. But I can still use it!!!! Ahhhhhh the games we married people have to play......

7. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

yup, the female is the larger one; although they may not be a mated pair yet the larger more dominant one will change sex. There may be some aggression while this is taking place and it is normal for the smaller one to do this twitching thing (a submissive gesture i believe). Make sure to keep an eye on the female...they have been known to completely turn on the male. Mine has nipped my male on occasion, but haven't had any problems in a few months. Good luck to you and enjoy!

8. Click Here!

9. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

I had a false percula and a maroon in the same 125g tank and they never bothered each other. I may have just been lucky. I was too clueless then to even consider compatability issues for my fish.

What experience do folks have with keeping multiple clowns or multiple tangs in the same tank? How may clowns could you keep in a 300gal tank without aggression problems?

10. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

You got lucky. Maybe they were not sexually mature yet. I have had a female maroon kill her mate when I brought home my mated pair of maroons. It is not advisable to keep different clowns together. Tangs are alittle different. If they are roughly the same size they should be o.k. If you get one much bigger or smaller there probably will be some drama.

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Also, the tangs need to look different to have a good shot at compatability. For example, a yellow tang and a hippo would be a good match.

12. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Yeah, I had a yellow tang and a hippo tang in that mix as well. I'm looking forward to having a Kole Tang in the new tank. One of the LFS in my area recently had a Jewel Tang in. It was too rich for my blood though... can you believe $2995. Notice that decimal point is at the end not in the middle :eek: