A better way to run power cords.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by vegasfish, Mar 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I did not know that this post would help out some and cause this discussion. I'm glad that everyone on 3reef is enjoying this thread. I did find the controller you were talking about Luna and it is really bad A$$. I like everything it can but at this time in my built it is a bit to much money. For those like me that had not seen them before here is the link http://www.neptunesys.com/

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Solid point... but it's a very different direction than what I assumed was the original point... for scheduling on/offs, I agree.

But when I first read this, I thought this was for unscheduled things. Like, yesterday I did a water change and had to unplug my powerheads, making sure I had the right plug in hand... this setup would have made that a cake walk.

4. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

That's it I only turn power off for cleaning and water changes.

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Really? I thought they were in the hundreds of dollars. I will look into. Thanks dude.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Thanks Luna, got it. Right now I unplug stuff for feeding. I decided to split to twice daily, and don't run any filters any more. So I have just been letting the return pump run. I was just looking for switches to save me the hassle of unplugging stuff.

Thanks for mentioning the next level. I have seen other controllers like wave controls turn off pumps for feeding, but didn't think about going that route for power center. I will look into that more.

7. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

Remember chaeper is not always better. Why not save the cash and put it towards a controller.

This solution works to clean up the wires however as luna said controllers are far better.

Also remember the power draw that some of your equipment will have and ensure that the strips can handle all that draw.

Also check out the Reefkeeper they are not that expensive either.

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

You could use a X10 controller & software to handle that for you.. I'm trying out some aquarium software that can incorporate X10, ACIII, & other boards to automate & monitor your tank. Pretty slick...