95g Rimless Reef thoughts/advice (on a 2nd floor) UPDATE

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by MoJoe, Nov 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

There are lots of things to consider here... if you were to have a leak or spill some water, this is also where the water is gonna go...

I'd highly recommend staying on the first floor and get some floor jacks underneath the tank on anything over a 55 gallon.

I seriously think that anything 55 gallon and under would be ok, but much over that and you're getting into dangerous territory with weight concerns.

Remember, I had to use TWO 2-ton floor jacks under my tank to correct the issues... thankfully the floor jacks are in the basement and not obtrusive.

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Unfortunately I cannot move to the 1st floor, my folks have been there for like 15 years and they ain't leaving, believe me :). I will have to maybe consult an architect or someone in construction to see their advice.

I do appreciate your input as you are dealing with the issue hands on. It's just that so many have different opinions I guess a professional looking at the specific flooring would be the safest route of action.

1 person likes this.
  4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have a zero edge tank. i can tell you there are pro's and con's to them.
    they look awesome and cleaning them is easy since they arent to deep mine is 14 inches deep. but the fish jump out of them i guess any rimless would be the same though. zero edge tanks use a lot of water due to evaporation. plus to that they stay at room temp. so in the summer there is no over heating even with a halide on over it for 12 hours a day. ( i know im cutting that back im at 11 now will be cutting to ten hours.) mine is 24 by 24 square is hard to aqua scape.
    climbing anemones are not a good idea. mine climbed over the side and went into the over flow and clogged it to result in flooding my floor. the clown in it went over with it and also died.
    if you check ebay you often will find them used for sale. honestly if i had it to do over i would buy a reg tank. with a canopy. walking out to dead fish on the floor stinks! and this small tank was very expensive.

i have been looking into a way to put a net cover on it. but that is going to mess up the whole look. so really they are good for those who dont care about jumping fish and are into clams and corals. it is pretty to look into the tank and see the fish and corals from the top view . oh some of the fish that have been jumping arent even fish that are known jumpers

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Nice to hear from an actual owner of the zeroedge tanks. They def are beautiful, but I was not planning to get one because of how their filtration works and the cost. I have my heart set on a rimless but am def covering all bases thinking about snails going over, I may or may not keep my nems, they are footed on a rock and have been there since I got them, which is good.

I honestly will most likely still run my Deltec HOB skimmer and not get a sump quite yet, so, in terms of flooding due to something getting stuck, I should be ok in that area.

My lighting is a TEK Elite 6-bulb that will be hung over the tank, I"m hoping the 18"height will be suitable for the fish I have, where they won't jump. I do have open tops now and have only had 1 loss so far in about a year.

I also factored in the evaporation, but again, since I do run open tops already I am topping off to accomodate it anyway, may just be a tad more with more open area with the suspsended light.

Let's see some pics of your zeroedge :)

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

the filtration in my tank i have no complaints about ... my tank has 11 fish and readings are all great. so the filtration is tops. its a 25 gal sump with a sock, protein skimmer and refug. it has 2 inlets split into 2 each 4 that shoot different ways to keep water movement. snails do go over but i just throw them back in. but im told snails go over on the rimless also. and you just throw them back in.
    my evaporation is 1 1/2 gallons a day to 2 gallons it depends on the weather really air on or off all that. i do have a ATO on it other wise it was a pain toping off that much water a day.

pictures...i have a few on my page here from when i just started the tank. will take a few tomorrow when its not dark.

i do think the zeroedge is very pretty and so quiet and peaceful to look at i mainly just hear the water trickle. but chasing my cat to get the fish out of his mouth after the fish jumps is getting old. :eek: the cat seems to beat me to the fish each time. grabs the fish and runs out his pet door with it. i fly out the back door after him chasing him threw the back yard . this has happened 3 times now! amazingly the fish survived. but i do believe the missing chromis was a cat snack.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  7. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Rim less with sapphire glass, are super expensive. For a 95gal, roughly looking at $1100.00 to $2000.00 and that's just for the tank.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

My buddy had a 110gal on the second floor with no issues. Granted it must be on a weight barring wall and the home should be sound in condition as structure wise.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

How is this coming along, MoJoe?
    If your joists run perpendicular to your tank and the wall is weight bearing wall as ComputerJohn said, you should be alright to put the tank. I would, re-enforce it for my own piece of mind though.

But I think the 95 should be fine on the 2nd floor too, as long as you take the necessary measures and head to the lumber shop for some joists and braces to make it all very tough.

Keep us updated, bud!

- Mag.