95g Rimless Reef thoughts/advice (on a 2nd floor) UPDATE

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by MoJoe, Nov 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I like the breakfast bar tank!! Not sure if my drooling is for the hot ramen noodles or the tank :)

I would think the zero edge to be expensive too... I didn't know how much you wanted to put in it, but if the reviews aren't that good, they just aren't that good! I thought about fish jumping, first thing too. They are very pretty for shows. It's just breathtaking.

As far as evap goes, I do use a lot more water with an open top tank then with the cover tank. Rimless or not, it is a fact that the more open space you have the more evaporation you will get. I used to top off about half a gallon per day, after taking all lids off, it's more like 1.5 to 2 gallons per day, if hot enough you can keep adding gallons, you know what I mean?

The one thing I've read about rimless tanks is that sometimes they kind of bow a bit. Specially if made of glass.

And just to tease.....

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

awesome vid, check this rimless 47g, this video is absolutely amazing, so clear and well shot:

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

are you doing rimless or eurobraced? because you can't just do rimless on any tank, they need extra thick glass.

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Yes, I'm going to get a new rimless tank, not going to mod my current or anything like that. Is euro-bracing wise with rimless, or since they are thicker glass are they fine?

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

made correctly a rimless will be fine, however if the guys making the tank don't have experience or are cheap with the glass, it can bow and seems can can leak.

euro-bracing would make the tank alot more safe though, I'm also pretty sure acrylic can only be euro-braced since its so flexible, if it was rimless if would bow badly.

Thinking about it you may as well get the euro-bracing because it will probably allow for thinner glass, so the tank will be lighter.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Those tanks looks beautiful! I could never have an open top though, it freaks me out too much. But they are gorgeous!

Also, I like the first two, how you can't really see the lights. I don't like that really long tank where the pendants are like bam! Right in your face. I think it really detracts from the tank.

JMO.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I am def going to get one from a reputable vendor to make sure it's 100% well made and stable. I'm going to get glass most likely starphire on the front and maybe sides also.

Do I need to add the euro bracing also even if I go with a quality manufacturer?

@KC I love open tops, it's like you can put your scuba on and just dive in :). I'm going to hang my lights pretty high up so they won't distract def

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

cool update, I checked the joist placement of the 1st floor of the house I'm moving too. The joists will run perpendicular to the tank & there are a good # of them. So, I'm thinking if the 2nd floor mirrors the first, I may be ok for a 95g.

What do you think? Here's pics of the tank placement in the house & joists:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

That's about how mine is... looks like the same sort of framing in my house... and I have a 120G on the first floor (above the basement) with joists that look the same as yours. It DID make the floor sink a little bit... enough that a nearby door frame was not closing properly. I used floor jacks to fix the door and put one under the tank as well. that fixed the sagging issues, but the tank still bounces a tiny bit if you walk in front of it... not exactly awesome.

my plan is to build a very strong wall underneath it to support the weight. I plan on doing this within the year.

I wouldn't suggest placing a large aquarium on the second floor without some additional bracing at the very least. I would recommend the same thing for the 1st floor in that house.

1 person likes this.
  12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Hmmm, good to know Gabba, thanks. I just don't know how I'd put additional bracing as the tank is above my folks living room. Corner supports maybe? Trying to think of something without looking ugly in their main room yknow.

120g is very large, I am still in my decision process. I would think a 70g 48x18x18 would be no prob on the 2nd floor with that joist placement, though, hmmmm.