95g Rimless Reef thoughts/advice (on a 2nd floor) UPDATE

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by MoJoe, Nov 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

So, I'm thinking of going "rimless" for my new tank and was wondering if anyone has or has had one, pros & cons? I would think you can't mount a light on it, and maybe can or can't have HOB things on the back? Sorry, I've never had a rimless before and just wanted to have all my bases covered.

I'm thinking of going with a shallow wide tank with starphire glass on the front (and maybe sides), prob going to go 48x24x16. It's around 95g capacity.

Let me know your thoughts on if this dimension will be problematic or super cool?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

All the rimless I've seen have pendant lights, I would think it kind of kills the look if you sit a fixture on it. So a stand with sump room also is a plus. You want it to look clean and kind of like a stand alone system. Have you checked the zero-edge tanks? They're awesome for a center piece tank.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

yes I def would be hanging the light, no doubt. I would like a clean look but do have a Deltec HOB skimmer I love, but I guess I could put it in the sump too. Would have to use the cabinet for the equipment as the tank will be against a outside wall so nowhere to go.

The more I read up on things it seems it's best to go with a wider and shallower tank if putting a larger tank on a 2nd floor. I may do a 70g capacity that's wide and shallow, hmmm.

I will check into the zero edge ones, do you have any good links?

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

found a gorgeous 90g rimless on RC, same dimensions as I mentioned (via 143gadgets on RC forums), I would def put sand in my though:

[​IMG]

Here's an awesome zero edge one via zeroedgeaquarium.com:

[​IMG]

I'm getting excited!

Attached Files:

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Heck yeah, dude! The zero-edge are beautiful! They have one at my LFS filled with rics, acros and clams, and every time I go crazy!! The cascading water on the sides, makes a super clear look and when I lean over to check the frags out, I always get my nose wet. It doesn't even look like there is any water in it! They're awesome! If you can afford one, go for it. The look is unbeatable.

1 person likes this.
  7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I'm def going to look into the zeroedge, I have roughly $50 :). Reading up on them you have to be very careful that they are perfectly level or it distorts the corners I guess. I'm thinking I don't have the $ for them, but I will def get a rimless, just trying to see the pros/cons for owners. I'm thinking evaporation is much worse, fish jumping may be more frequent in a shallower tank.

Look at this 72" monster, drooool (via Calvin415 on RC):

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

something tells me they're a bit more than $50... ;)

those are really nice tanks, though... my lfs has one and you have to be careful about the drain holes around the base getting clogged or a snail going in one, as they're kind of small. they may not be the most practical, but they sure are nice looking.

1 person likes this.
  10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I'd have to def agree after reading more up on the zeroedge tanks and their built-in filtration. The four-sided waterfalls going down the corners def is pretty though but not practical maybe for home SW keeping IMO. It would create too much extra maintenence. Reading lots of advice from owners that they're not the best systems for fish either, but lots of different opinions. Nice for trade shows and LFS' though!

I am def going with a rimless now, just have to figure out dimensions, boy I am excited and also scared of spending my $50 :).

11. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Ok, I"m thinking either rimless 95g 48x24x18 or 70g 48x18x18

My LFS is checking on prices with black silicone and stands.

12. fhabercrombie

fhabercrombie Fire Shrimp